PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation - System Requirements

cuentosdepapel
October 4th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hi guys, i have been using Ubuntu since 2002, but i quitted the stint for several non-pc-related reasons.

I have an old AMD Sempron 2400+ (1.6 Ghz) with 512 Mb RAM and 80 Gb hard drive running WinXP.

I want to switch (back) to Ubuntu, but i'm not sure what version to use to get the maximum of my equipment.

All answers are truly appreciated in advance.

Thank you all,

Gonzo

TNT1
October 4th, 2010, 12:00 PM
on that spec, I'd try lubuntu, or one of the other debian off shoots, like puppy (lucid pup is awesome) or antiX or some such derivative. What I mean is, Lubuntu will go fine, but for serious use, you will fine the RAM at 512 a tad lacking at the top end.

I got Ubuntu 9.04 booting on a PII 900mhz wif 256Mb RAM dell latitude once, but it was slow, like as in the origin of the universe time scale to boot...

mörgæs
October 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Yes, Lubuntu will be a good choice:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9834517&postcount=261

snowpine
October 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM
You can run any "flavor" of 'Buntu on your machine, according to the Ubuntu System Requirements:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Ubuntu Desktop (GUI) Installation

* 1 GHz x86 processor
* 512MB of system memory (RAM)
* 5GB of disk space (for OS files; consideration should be given to the (often very large) size of user files that will occupy the /home directory)
* Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024x768
* Cd/Dvd-drive
* Sound support, if you need sound.
* Internet access is helpful

Really it is a question of which desktop environment you prefer and what kind of user experience you want to have.

cuentosdepapel
October 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys, i'll give lubuntu a shot.
Cheers, and thanks again!

ShootEmUp
October 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Xubuntu would work great, or do what I did with my old Satellite 2065CDS (366MHz 160mb RAM) And do command line install then build on top of that.

cuentosdepapel
November 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Xubuntu would work great, or do what I did with my old Satellite 2065CDS (366MHz 160mb RAM) And do command line install then build on top of that.

Thanks for the suggestion ShootEmUp.

Instead of going on CLI (I'm sort of a chimp in that matter, I know a few commands like 'grep' or something), should it work with the Xubuntu installation interface? Also, does Xubuntu/Lubuntu do a partition itself or do I have to make a partition myself and then format it while installing?

Thanks again, cheers!