PDA

View Full Version : OpenSuSE 10.0; Opinions and Views

apsalyers
April 11th, 2006, 11:09 PM
After reading an article this morning on Ars Technica, I decided to give SuSE 10 a try, my last experience with the distro being 9.1ish. While I find SuSE 10 to be a nice desktop experience, and YAST a goot management tool, I find the issues I had with the distro back in version 9.x still pretty much exist today. Mainly I have one issue with the distro, and that issue only exists when trying to use it as a desktop OS.

Maybe i'm just spoiled on Kubuntu 5.10, but updating software to the most current versions is an annoyance. Updating to the newest stable version of main desktop components, such as KDE or Gnome, be it from source or packages, seems to cause serious system problems overall and instability. Multimedia, just like Kubuntu must be installed seperately, risking the license police. Dependancy management overall is an annoyance compared to Kubuntu as well.

As a server, I find OpenSuSE is excellent for the small business enviroment or a small role within a larger business. The same reluctance to update to new release software versions becomes a positive aspect in the server side, causing a kind of forced stability.

I have been a fan of SuSE for several years, all in all I consider it a top 5 distro for the desktop, if you don't mind some quirks, and a top 2 server distro.

What are other users experiences with SuSE and OpenSuSE?

rado_london
April 11th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Bad.
I dont like it. Too slow =, even difficult in my opinion. No apt-get moo which make my life hell.

helpme
April 11th, 2006, 11:19 PM
When I gave it a try, I actually liked it a lot.

I agree that package management with yast is not as good as what you get with K/Ubutnu, however if you really want to do things like upgrade to a new Gnome/KDE version (something you can't do on Ubuntu btw., as the new versions simply won't be provided) using apt4rpm worked quite well for me.

Also, I'm really looking forward to 10.1 as package management has been totally revamped apparently.

Oh and I didn't find it slow. On the contrary, compared to breezy at least it felt faster for me.

taurus
April 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I believe SUSE 10.1 will be out later this month, 25th if I am not mistaken...

ComplexNumber
April 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
i currently have suse 10 installed. it is true that its very slow to boot up and for yast to start.
yast is superb and the best admin tools around IMO. the only problem is that yast can overwrite configuration options that have been changed manually with its own.
kde is excellent on suse - the best there is IMO. gnome takes somewhat of a backseat.
overall, it seems very sluggish.

No apt-get moo which make my life hell. it does have apt-get. what do you think this (http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2523907/com/apt-0.5.15cnc7-6.i586.rpm.html) is?

shame
April 11th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Suse is excellent, especially when using apt4suse. Hope it's still going to be available in 10.1

rado_london
April 12th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Comeon this isnt real apt. Its like using yum on debian.

ComplexNumber
April 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Comeon this isnt real apt. Its like using yum on debian. it is. try it out for yourself and see :). there's been an apt port for ages on rpm systems.

lazyd2
April 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Suse is excellent, especially when using apt4suse. Hope it's still going to be available in 10.1I hope that too, although I am not so sure its gonna be...

_linux_
April 12th, 2006, 12:30 AM
SUSE is good, but you need a fast computer. But YaST was so nice. And so was KDE.

gamma
April 12th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I found the overall install process annoying. You can either download 5 CDs or a minimalistic installcd. I decided to do the minimalistic livecd approach. I had to manually select a ftp mirror (ip only too) and then manually input the path where the suse files are. To do this I had to run over to another computer. I installed gnome, since I'm not a KDE man and got things up and running.

Things are very pretty looking, but I had a lot of issues getting software working. I visited their wiki to get nvidia-glx installed and they told me how to do it the manual way. Of course no gcc installed, and no kernel sources to be found so that didn't work. ndiswrapper was another pain because of this. I quickly gave up, but decided to "borrow" their artwork for Ubuntu... :D

helpme
April 12th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Things are very pretty looking, but I had a lot of issues getting software working. I visited their wiki to get nvidia-glx installed and they told me how to do it the manual way. Of course no gcc installed, and no kernel sources to be found so that didn't work. ndiswrapper was another pain because of this. I quickly gave up, but decided to "borrow" their artwork for Ubuntu... :D
Ehm, you simply have to choose to install the nvidia driver from the update tool, reboot and voila, you'll be using the nvidia driver.