April 11th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Is Konqueror as secure as Firefox?
Thanks

bjweeks
April 11th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Yes.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 11th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I think firefox is a little more secure + you have all the extensions. Konqueror also seems to take longer to render pages.

GeneralZod
April 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Pretty much, plus it has 10x the degree of Security by Obscurity :D

It's nowhere near as good as Firefox in most other areas though, alas :(

helpme
April 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I think firefox is a little more secure

Why do you think that?

+ you have all the extensions.

Yep, but on the other hand, many people argue that having extensions in a browser isn't the best thing when it comes to security.

Konqueror also seems to take longer to render pages.
Hm, I just installed kubuntu on my dapper install today and I didn't get this impression.

jdong
April 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM
It's difficult to say whether Konqueror or Firefox is more secure. They're both secure browsers, and one can argue they both have large user bases. We can all understand how Firefox gets its attention, while Safari brings a lot of attention to the KHTML user base.

Both browsing engines are high quality, but since Konqueror better integrates into KDE, lots of KDE users like Konqueror.

By track record, I believe Konqueror has fewer known exploits than Firefox, but that really doesn't mean much in the way of security.

mush36
April 11th, 2006, 11:11 PM
i think thst thay are all **** i use opera it is brill it the best iv ever seen fire fox jest suks

jdong
April 11th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Hm, I just installed kubuntu on my dapper install today and I didn't get this impression.

It depends on the pages. On some websites, for whatever reason, Konqueror can take 5-10x the time to render, while sitting around at low CPU, seemingly hanging. This happened A LOT back in the KDE 3.2 days, so if you want to see what we're talking about, just grab an old Knoppix LiveCD and use Konqueror from it.

It's gotten a lot better in this respect recently, but there are still a handful of websites that trigger this behavior.

henriquemaia
April 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Pretty much, plus it has 10x the degree of Security by Obscurity :D

Good point.

helpme
April 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
It depends on the pages. On some websites, for whatever reason, Konqueror can take 5-10x the time to render, while sitting around at low CPU, seemingly hanging. This happened A LOT back in the KDE 3.2 days, so if you want to see what we're talking about, just grab an old Knoppix LiveCD and use Konqueror from it.

You're right, now that you mention it, I remember having this problem. However, it didn't happen on dapper yet, or at least I didn't notice it.

ferebee
April 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I've found Konqueror to be a lot faster in Kde 3.5 for whatever reason.
Before I upgraded to 3.5 in my Mepis installation I found it to be almost unuseable, but after upgrade it seems to just zip right along.

MenZa
April 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I'm a Firefox chap myself, but I know that Konqueror renders CSS better than Firefox does (ACID2 test. If you don't know, don't ask.)

jdong
April 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I'm a Firefox chap myself, but I know that Konqueror renders CSS better than Firefox does (ACID2 test. If you don't know, don't ask.)

" Better" is such a disputed term in this regard, though.

For the end user, is it "better" if a browser renders CSS according to the quirky nonstandard but more popular browsers, or do it the "standard" way that nobody expects? ;)

Maybe someday the web will be perfect.

curuxz
April 12th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I love konq, I use it as my FTP client, and browsing around my pc with the meta bar is really handy, saves right clicking for most tasks :)

ComplexNumber
April 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I'm a Firefox chap myself, but I know that Konqueror renders CSS better than Firefox does (ACID2 test. If you don't know, don't ask.)not any more. firefox passes the acid2 test now. click (http://flickr.com/photos/dbaron/126886608/)

Sushi
April 13th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Firefox's and Geckos codebase is messy and huge, whereas Konqueror and KHTML is clean and lean. That is the reason why Apple chose KHTML for Safari. And having clean and lean codebase is a Good Thing as far as security is concerned :). That said, I do love Firefox.

Sushi
April 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM
not any more. firefox passes the acid2 test now. click (http://flickr.com/photos/dbaron/126886608/)

That's not a released product, that's the developement-branch.

MenZa
April 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
" Better" is such a disputed term in this regard, though.

For the end user, is it "better" if a browser renders CSS according to the quirky nonstandard but more popular browsers, or do it the "standard" way that nobody expects? ;)

Maybe someday the web will be perfect.

The day all browsers render CSS, HTML, XHTML etc. the same way, it'll be close ;).

not any more. firefox passes the acid2 test now. click (http://flickr.com/photos/dbaron/126886608/)

Ooo, sweet. Didn't know Bon Echo did - it didn't in Alpha one, I'm sure.

ComplexNumber
April 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
That's not a released product, that's the developement-branch. i know it is because it clearly says so. i'm just saying.

njf
April 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM
How about opera? Last time I checked, it almost passed the test. Any news about it?

Tinos
October 31st, 2007, 08:08 AM
It's been ages since someone posted in this forum, but I have to say I just tried konqueror out and it is SO much better than firefox. So far there's two problems:

1. An extension I liked, net usage item, is only on Firefox.
2. Can't open gmail properly. But the "basic" view is fine for me.

Other than that the quality of browsing is so much better. I think it's probably just my laptop though. I'm using Kubuntu (better dual monitor support than Ubuntu).

In terms of security I MUCH prefer Konqueror. In Firefox I set the master password, but I mean by default you can go up to anyone's computer and find out all their passwords with a few clicks of the mouse (edit > preferences > Security > Show Passwords > Show Passwords). That's horrible security.

jdong
October 31st, 2007, 01:44 PM
Storing passwords in your Firefox profile without setting a master password is a bad practice if your computer is in a location where others have physical access to. They are only trivially obfuscated. Enabling a master key helps some, but there still have been some vulnerabilities that exposed such passwords.

escobar_
October 31st, 2007, 02:09 PM
I'd use Konqueror if it had some of the extensions I use in Firefox (del.icio.us for instance).

kerry_s
October 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM
i think thst thay are all **** i use opera it is brill it the best iv ever seen fire fox jest suks

than you really should learn to use opera's spell check, cause it ain't helping if you ain't using it. if you don't know how to install it-> sudo apt-get aspell-en

fuscia
October 31st, 2007, 02:31 PM
than you really should learn to use opera's spell check, cause it ain't helping if you ain't using it. if you don't know how to install it-> sudo apt-get aspell-en

"then, you really should..." not 'than'.

kerry_s
October 31st, 2007, 02:54 PM
"then, you really should..." not 'than'.

oops. :lolflag: