PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloaded updates - Can't get gnome screen

FredVanH
October 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Hi. I am away from home and using a slow wireless connection. I started a download of the latest updates to 10.4 from an invitation at the bottom of the gnome display screen, as usual. I returned later to a screen which said unable to download some of them - did I want to install anyway? I said "yes", the install proceeded, and restarted. When "it" came up again, I no longer had the gnome display, as I usually do; but instead got the Terminal command prompt asking me to log in and for my password. After I gave those, I then got the command prompt and can't get out of Terminal or into (onto) Gnome. Can anyone tell me from your experience:
1) How may I get my Gnome screen back?,
2) Is it likely that my 10.4 is all screwed up and I need to reinstall 10.4?
3) What is the command to exit the Terminal? (I'm asking this from a Windows computer because Ubuntu is unavailable, as described above).
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Fred
Addendum: It's 2 days after my post and no reply. On the possibility that I posted to the wrong category, I'd like to withdraw the post from this category and will instead post it to the newbies' category. Hope this in accordance with all protocol - if not, I apologize and am ready to correct.
Thanks,
Fred