PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to open Ubuntu after Update to 10.04

ALHEMP
October 3rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
I downloaded Ubuntu 9.1 to my laptop and on boot-up it gave me a choice of loading Windows or Ubuntu. I loaded Ubuntu and found the Software Centre which noted that Updates to my system were available. I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 successfully and used the Spreadsheet and Word-processing programmes after which I closed down my computer.

On trying to start up later I got the same Start Up screen offering me the Windows or Ubuntu choice but having chosen Ubuntu there was a quick flash of the Ubuntu screen and then all went blank. Nothing further happened and I have lost Ubuntu.

I restarted my laptop with the same result. I restarted again and got Windows successfully.

My initial screen is headed GNU GRUB version 1.98 - 1ubuntu5 and the choices below are "Ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-24-generic" and the same with 2.6.31-22 and 2.6-31-14.

Is this the right place to seek help on this subject or, if not, can someone please point me in the right direction to get help. This is my first encounter with Ubuntu.

santana007
October 4th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I downloaded Ubuntu 9.1 to my laptop and on boot-up it gave me a choice of loading Windows or Ubuntu. I loaded Ubuntu and found the Software Centre which noted that Updates to my system were available. I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 successfully and used the Spreadsheet and Word-processing programmes after which I closed down my computer.

On trying to start up later I got the same Start Up screen offering me the Windows or Ubuntu choice but having chosen Ubuntu there was a quick flash of the Ubuntu screen and then all went blank. Nothing further happened and I have lost Ubuntu.

I restarted my laptop with the same result. I restarted again and got Windows successfully.

My initial screen is headed GNU GRUB version 1.98 - 1ubuntu5 and the choices below are "Ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-24-generic" and the same with 2.6.31-22 and 2.6-31-14.

Is this the right place to seek help on this subject or, if not, can someone please point me in the right direction to get help. This is my first encounter with Ubuntu.

I had a similar problem but I got my system working again. This is the thread I posted:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1584931 Maybe you can use it as a guide. I would be interested in knowing the result if you try it.

mörgæs
October 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
If the link above does not help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857