PDA

View Full Version : google-free Android?

phen
October 3rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Dear all,

I am planning to invest a lot of money in my next mobile phone. I want something like the Iphone, but without anything Apple. It should work together with my ubuntu laptop as good as possible. I am especially interested in a linux operating system like Android or Meego. Now I learned that there are no Meego devices yet, and it is not mature enough by now.

Ok, Android is the only one left. I know that, via Google, it synchronizes quite well with linux. Music and data synchronisation works well, too. Does anybody of you uses an Android phone without too many Google Apps? I found a way to synchronize contacts and calendar with an own funambol sync-server. HTC offers Offline Navigation, afaik.

But what about podcasts, RSS feeds, Email? I am interested in your thoughts.

I hope for Meego in a couple of years, but for now, it is going to be either an HTC Desire (HD) or a Samsung Galaxy with Android.....

Spr0k3t
October 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
There are several hacked roms you can get for many of the android based phones. You can even get a hacked version of Froyo on the HTC Dream. There are hacked versions of the firmware that remove everything related to google. However, that is beyond the scope of this forum and quite possibly considered taboo. I can't tell you where to look, only that what you are looking for has already been done many times over. The android based phone I'm running is hacked... and the best phone I've ever owned hands down.

fatality_uk
October 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
There are several hacked roms you can get for many of the android based phones. You can even get a hacked version of Froyo on the HTC Dream. There are hacked versions of the firmware that remove everything related to google. However, that is beyond the scope of this forum and quite possibly considered taboo. I can't tell you where to look, only that what you are looking for has already been done many times over. The android based phone I'm running is hacked... and the best phone I've ever owned hands down.

*cough*

XDA Developers :)

Go have a look there. I am currently testing quite a few ROMS. My fave is Matt's Leo + Froyo w/Sense as I love the HTC Sense interface.

HappinessNow
October 4th, 2010, 05:09 AM
*cough*

XDA Developers :)

XDA is the best place to go for research.

aysiu
October 4th, 2010, 05:13 AM
If you use Cyanogen, the default is without Google apps, and you have the option to add in the Google apps separately.

I don't know how easy it is to sync stuff on Android without Google apps. You can easily drag and drop files to the MicroSD card as removable storage, though.

amitabhishek
October 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM
You want iPhone without Apple; Android without Google???

AFAIK without Google apps Android OS is a one trick pony. The core Android OS will give you a music app., imap/SMTP/exchange mail support,web browser & phone software. If this sounds like a deal to you go ahead and flash the OS.

phen
October 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
hey thank you all for your answers.

i dont think that android without google misses anything. I know for example, that...
- there are different free or proprietary navigation apps available,
- the phone syncs with rythmbox
- it is possible to sync contacts and calendar with a syncml server (needs some time to setup)

these 3 points are most important for me, but have you tips regarding your favourite apps for RSS feeds, podcasts, email?

bye

dmizer
October 5th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I find the default email application on my Xperia to be extremely limited, so I use K9 email. I suspect many other people do as well. Make sure your email host supports IMAP, and you'll have automatic sync between your phone and computer.

pwnst*r
October 5th, 2010, 03:04 PM
hey thank you all for your answers.

i dont think that android without google misses anything. I know for example, that...
- there are different free or proprietary navigation apps available,
- the phony syncs with rythmbox
- it is possible to sync contacts and calendar with a syncml server (needs some time to setup)

these 3 points are most important for me, but have you tips regarding your favourite apps for RSS feeds, podcasts, email?

bye

Good luck trying to find a better alternative to Google NAV.

phen
October 5th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Good luck trying to find a better alternative to Google NAV.
What about Navigon? HTC offers a offline Navigation for free, too.

I know Navigon for Iphone, which is very good imho (comparable to dedicated navigation devices)

pwnst*r
October 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM

I know Navigon for Iphone, which is very good imho (comparable to dedicated navigation devices)

Sprint has a very good free NAV service, but I had Navigon for the iPhone and I didn't care for it as much as Google NAV.

oscarFrance
October 6th, 2010, 09:36 PM
"I found a way to synchronize contacts and calendar with an own funambol sync-server"
--> Which Software do you use for that?

For synchronizing the contact+calendar, I recommand the website:
http://memotoo.com for such service.
But I'm interested to run my own syncserver if you have some softwares.

I'm trying to find also a good software to synchronize the Android with Ubuntu thru the wifi connection, but I have difficulties to find one good software doing that.
If someone could help me on that that would be great (I've tried in the past: http://scottastraughan.com/mediasync but it's quite basic and now I don't find it in the market).

Thanks.

phen
October 6th, 2010, 09:52 PM
--> Which Software do you use for that?

For synchronizing the contact+calendar, I recommand the website:
http://memotoo.com for such service.
But I'm interested to run my own syncserver if you have some softwares.

I'm trying to find also a good software to synchronize the Android with Ubuntu thru the wifi connection, but I have difficulties to find one good software doing that.
If someone could help me on that that would be great (I've tried in the past: http://scottastraughan.com/mediasync but it's quite basic and now I don't find it in the market).

Thanks.

Hello,

there is the funambol syncml server. The installation is quite easy. search for installation instructions, I have only found some german websites.

but I have not yet used it to sync an android device (because i dont own one). all I did up to now is to install the server and a dynamic IP service to sync over internet and to sync evolution with it. I also did some research and found this android app:

https://android-client.forge.funambol.org/

I haven't tried the android side of the system yet.

thanks for the link, i will check it out!

bye

oscarFrance
October 6th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I'm using http://memotoo.com with my HTC Desire + Ubuntu 9.10 and it's working fine.
you can try the service for free with less then around 100 contacts.
Above you'll have to pay.
The principle is that they explicitly keep your datas private contrary for example to google.
I precise that I'm not from memotoo!
The only weakness I think in their service is that the web-design of their site is very basic.
I apparently have to purchase a licence if I want also to sync the datas, I think I'm gona have a look. It may solve partially my problem.

But for big files, it's not a solution, I really need a client to synchronize thru the wireless directly to Ubuntu. Maybe running a local syncml server on Ubuntu is a solution but I would prefer to find a "user-friendly" software to avoid setup a syncml server for my needs...

Thanks.
Regards,
Oscar

pwnst*r
October 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM
The principle is that they explicitly keep your datas private contrary for example to google.

That's hilarious.

phen
October 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM
why should it?

BigCityCat
October 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM
My business phone is google android with garmin. I would say Garmin navigation is better than google.

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2010, 02:37 AM
My business phone is google android with garmin. I would say Garmin navigation is better than google.

You have a Garmin phone? Lol, those will be extinct soon.

BigCityCat
October 7th, 2010, 03:05 AM
You have a Garmin phone? Lol, those will be extinct soon.

I have a garmin asus with android.

This one lol. It actually works great. Better navigation than google for sure. and it doesn't matter when it goes out of date because I get a new phone every year anyway.

http://www.garminasus.com/en_US/

pwnst*r
October 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Good thing your business pays for it xD

BigCityCat
October 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Ha if you like that one you would love my personal phone.

It's an LG.

http://www.onlyrumor.com/boglsnca.html

That's how much money I spend on a phone.

formaldehyde_spoon
October 7th, 2010, 05:44 AM

Nothing is as good as Google's maps and navigation (except Brut.maps, which is Google maps modded to use the sdcard for cache).

NCLI
October 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm using http://memotoo.com with my HTC Desire + Ubuntu 9.10 and it's working fine.
you can try the service for free with less then around 100 contacts.
Above you'll have to pay.
Any source to back up your claim that Google doesn't keep your data private?

@phen: Why not just keep the Google stuff and not register a Google account?