PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't Boot Netbook To 10.10

..::| Dave89 |::..
October 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
I have an Acer Aspire One netbook, that used to have Windows 7 Starter one it. I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook RC and created a LiveUSB, but upon installing, it won't boot, just keeps saying something like bootable disk not found. I've tried 4 times, using both the advanced partitioning and install alongside existing OS, the only time I had it booting was when I used the advanced partitioner and accidentally installed GRUB to the USB stick I was installing from. I've tried telling the install to install bootloader to sdb1 (root partition) but no luck. The only other partition I have is a 11.9 GB Windows restore partition that I want to keep. I deleted my Android and "System Reserved Partition", which I think was to do with the Windows bootloader. That kept trying to boot Windows even though it wasn't there any more, which is why I deleted it. I created the LiveUSB with Linux Live USB Creator, which was the only way I could successfully make a bootable one.

EDIT: It appears to have installed GRUB to the USB stick, even though last time I used the install alongside existing OS. I'm going to attempt to install GRUB to the root partition, so I don't need the USB stick to boot.

EDIT #2: Found a nice tutorial at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling from LiveCD and managed to install GRUB to the HDD. Now works perfectly.