PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 LTS vs 10.10?

PinchedNerve
October 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
I am a little bit confused as to why there has been another version of Ubuntu on the threshold of release so soon after 10.04 "LTS". It was my understanding that LTS meant "long term support".

What is the need for another version so soon? Should those of us on 10.04 be upgrading & if yes, why?

PaulW2U
October 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
There's a new release very six months, you don't have to upgrade if your present version is working well for you. Some will say keeping with the LTS releases is preferable for new and less experienced users anyway.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases should help you understand the frequency and lifetime of each release.

malspa
October 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Some will say keeping with the LTS releases is preferable for new and less experienced users anyway.

I'm not a new user, but sticking with the LTS releases is preferable to me.

motang
October 3rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
I think that is good bet to make.

presence1960
October 3rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Just to flip to the other side of the coin. I started using ubuntu with 8.04 LTS. Have not really used an LTS since I installed 9.04

Currently running 9.10 and 10.10 with sabayon linux. It is all a matter of preference. Those who like stability or are squeamish at troubleshooting are best left to the LTS. Those who like cutting edge versions of software and tinkering are better with the "other releases".

malspa
October 4th, 2010, 12:03 AM
It is all a matter of preference. Those who like stability or are squeamish at troubleshooting are best left to the LTS. Those who like cutting edge versions of software and tinkering are better with the "other releases".

Yeah -- or if you're like me and just like to stay put for a couple of years, stick with LTS. I'm either lazy or don't have time to be dealing with new releases every six months. Or both! :P

presence1960
October 4th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Yeah -- or if you're like me and just like to stay put for a couple of years, stick with LTS. I'm either lazy or don't have time to be dealing with new releases every six months. Or both! :P

probably neither you sited, more likely not having the proper tools. See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7157175&postcount=5)

I just did this again when installing 10.10. It installs all packages from repositories in the list. Any third party software, manually installed software and software installed from source code have to be reinstalled- everything else is done for you. been using it since 9.04

malspa
October 4th, 2010, 12:31 AM
probably neither you sited, more likely not having the proper tools. See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7157175&postcount=5)

Thanks for the link, but... Nah, has nothing to do with not having the proper tools. I seriously have no need to use anything but LTS versions. Pretty much the same thing with Debian, I'm fine hanging Debian Stable for the duration.

Seems to me that most of the Ubuntu users who post at these forums about problems are folks who follow the six-month cycle. I could be wrong about that, but that's my impression.

I run several distros, and Mepis is the only one where I bother to put in the a new version more than once every two years -- and even with Mepis, I've skipped the latest version (waiting for Mepis 11 sometime early next year). Ubuntu's six-month cycle simply isn't a good fit for me. It's great that Ubuntu and Linux Mint have LTS options.

raymondh
October 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM
As with presence1964 .... I still use 8.04 and 9.04 ... because they work for me.

Someday, I will go to 10.04 ;)

Regards.

Dex73
October 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I stick to the LTS versions because ubuntu tends to have more problems on my laptop when I install any of the others. Hate to start using four letter words here, but if it's not LTS it's beta!

presence1960
October 4th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the link, but... Nah, has nothing to do with not having the proper tools. I seriously have no need to use anything but LTS versions. Pretty much the same thing with Debian, I'm fine hanging Debian Stable for the duration.

Seems to me that most of the Ubuntu users who post at these forums about problems are folks who follow the six-month cycle. I could be wrong about that, but that's my impression.

I run several distros, and Mepis is the only one where I bother to put in the a new version more than once every two years -- and even with Mepis, I've skipped the latest version (waiting for Mepis 11 sometime early next year). Ubuntu's six-month cycle simply isn't a good fit for me. It's great that Ubuntu and Linux Mint have LTS options.

That's not what you said originally. here is what you said:

Originally Posted by malspa View Post
Yeah -- or if you're like me and just like to stay put for a couple of years, stick with LTS. I'm either lazy or don't have time to be dealing with new releases every six months. Or both!

malspa
October 4th, 2010, 05:23 AM
That's not what you said originally.

That's correct. Good eye.

When I said I don't have time for dealing with new releases, I was thinking of the the bugs that seem to be so often introduced with those new releases.

Also, I may be a bit lazy, although I was joking about that part.

And I have no need for anything other than LTS releases.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with not having the proper tools.

VaiPhile
October 4th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Having upgraded to the Kubuntu 10.10 RC in the past few days, let me share some impressions:

ATI driver support is better, my HD5450 can run compositing under the non OpenGL option now. Kpackage kit (Kubuntu installer/package manager) has gotten a much better UI, which it DESPERATELY needed after replacing the deprecated synaptic and adept combo. I did run into bugs though. I spent a few hours getting the sounds turned back on, and I still can't open my system settings folder. Once again the upgrade broke my VirtualBox install, but I know what the deal with that is (mismatched headers, re-install, check DKMS, re-run setup, etc)

Compared to the previous upgrades though, this is minor stuff. I didn't have to use a recovery CD when I rebooted, or float on a live CD for a couple days while researching the fix.

That is a huge step forward.

Many of the changes to core applications are hardly noticeable, although there are some nice refinements to the plasma widgets. I had changed over to the Shotwell photo manager a while back, but was pleased to get a new version. New versions all around unless you have a lot of back-port PPAs set up.

If you don't want to fool with anything for any reason whatsoever then stick to LTS.

If you want a genuinely better experience and you are willing to take a (small) risk, then I do recommend 10.10.

The finish of the OS feels like what 10.04 should have been, as some of the changes really felt half-baked. You could try to get the backports to upgrade the interfaces, but you're going to have a hard time upgrading core functionalities without installing the whole upgrade to fulfill dependencies. If you are using anything older than 10.04, oh holy lord by all means upgrade without question!!!!! I started using Kubuntu at 8.10, and I can't tell you how much better the experience is between this and anything in the 8s or 9s.

Soul-Sing
October 4th, 2010, 07:27 AM
- if you have (had) issue's with previous releases (8.04, 9.10 or 10.4) give 10.10 a try
- if you have very new hardware, give 10.10 a try
- if you are just curious, dual or trippleboot the new version with your stable version(s) it is easy to dual/tripple boot/etc with linux

TNT1
October 4th, 2010, 07:31 AM

Snap.

guimaster
November 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM
This is an issue that I think about a-lot. I just purchased a Netbook and I installed 10.10 on it. But I am getting lots of buggy behavior. Evolution is a bug-fest like always. The benefit though is that I get the latest version of the vast quantity of software that is available through the Ubuntu Software Center.

10.04 may be more stable. I don't know because I jumped from 9.10 to 10.10. However, it really, really annoys me that all of the packages go out of date. Running RKHunter 3 years from now it won't be updated, and there may be 10 new rootkits created in that time that it won't know how to search for. This is unacceptable.

Most programs though, such as Evolution really don't change from version to version of Ubuntu. I get the same problems everytime. But Empathy is changing a lot. Firefox - even with the updates on LTS - will become incompatible with new add-ons (8.04 did anyway).

If it was easier to download .deb files of all of these important programs online, then running an LTS would be great. But it isn't always so easy. Sometimes you can add a repository, other times not. And I have struggled in the past installing programs packaged as tar.gz.

Anyway... Such is life... I don't want Windows to spy on me, I don't want to buy a Mac either. So Ubuntu it is...