PDA

View Full Version : Debian Ubuntu relationship improving?

kleeman
April 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
The newly elected Debian Project Leader Tony Towns reckons Debian and Ubuntu get along fine and need each other:

"Someone who uses Ubuntu every day and loves it might think Debian has no relevance whatsoever, but most of the people who actually make Ubuntu are passionate about Debian as well -- e.g., Mark Shuttleworth thinks Debian is relevant enough to have reactivated his account and voted in this election.

Rather than making Debian obsolete, I personally think Ubuntu has done an excellent job of bringing Debian's technologies and principles to more people, and while the relationship between the two projects is... complicated, I think it's still a healthy one and will only become more so."

Sounds hopeful. I think Ubuntu really needs to nuture Debian myself.

More detail here:
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/11/1818237

bjweeks
April 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Ububtu = desktop Debian = server.

mips
April 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Ubuntu is Debian in it's own way...

Brunellus
April 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
the politics of Debian turns people off. Ubuntu is relatively free from 13373r than thou attitudes.

WildTangent
April 12th, 2006, 12:34 AM
the politics of Debian turns people off. Ubuntu is relatively free from 13373r than thou attitudes.
Ever spent time in the #ubuntu channel....

-Wild

woedend
April 12th, 2006, 12:46 AM
debian people don't have a leeter than thou attitude. well, perhaps some do, but thats a horrible generalization, as I think every distro has its hardcore geeks. I used debian on and off, it's not harder at all than ubuntu as far as getting started. The installers are nearly identical. The only real difference I can tell is that ubuntu has much quicker package updates(this is unstable vs dapper testing). Unstable is only about halfway done with gnome 2.14, and had repo way of testing it until it was actually release. Xorg 7.0 was supposed to be in unstable 2 weeks ago, no sign yet.
Ubuntu is debian with money thrown at it for brilliant developers to update, package, and beautify it.
A lot of people do say it's mark's power trip, he should have just donated to debian. I couldn't disagree more. As stated, too much politics and bickering between developers. Having a small fast moving squad gets rid of having giant debates, slow updates, and incompatiblities.

asimon
April 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Ububtu = desktop Debian = server.
Ubuntu Dapper will come in Desktop and Server editions.

bonzodog
April 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Ubuntu to me is highly advanced Debian Sid, absolute bleeding edge, with a team of professional developers, but with a philosophy of "Keep it simple, stupid".
Ubuntu has often been described as being "Debian for n00bs", but I don't see it that way;
Debian for newbies is Mepis or Linspire or PCLinuxOS.
Ubuntu still has enough of the base power user tools in it, and the chance to opt out of assisted GUI configuration and installation. Ubuntu is a 'second level' distro to me. Most of those newbie tools are Gnome standard stuff anyway, and not actually developed by the Ubuntu Developers, as gnome is becoming a complete DE capable of controlling and configuring your machine with GUI tools. (I use Xfce for this reason).
The last time I looked into the Mailing list threads and IRC channels of the Debian Community, they were very skeptical of the Ubuntu distro, and viewed it very mockingly. They saw those Debian Devels who had gone to help Mark almost as traitors and against the Debian Way of doing things.
I sincerely hope that the relationship between the two is improving, as we need to keep aligned with how the Debian community develops and changes, and still keep that 'power-user' edge to Ubuntu.

Zodiac
April 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM

hahhaahh this coming from you???

Brunellus
April 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Ubuntu to me is highly advanced Debian Sid, absolute bleeding edge, with a team of professional developers, but with a philosophy of "Keep it simple, stupid".
Ubuntu has often been described as being "Debian for n00bs", but I don't see it that way;
Debian for newbies is Mepis or Linspire or PCLinuxOS.
Ubuntu still has enough of the base power user tools in it, and the chance to opt out of assisted GUI configuration and installation. Ubuntu is a 'second level' distro to me. Most of those newbie tools are Gnome standard stuff anyway, and not actually developed by the Ubuntu Developers, as gnome is becoming a complete DE capable of controlling and configuring your machine with GUI tools. (I use Xfce for this reason).
The last time I looked into the Mailing list threads and IRC channels of the Debian Community, they were very skeptical of the Ubuntu distro, and viewed it very mockingly. They saw those Debian Devels who had gone to help Mark almost as traitors and against the Debian Way of doing things.
I sincerely hope that the relationship between the two is improving, as we need to keep aligned with how the Debian community develops and changes, and still keep that 'power-user' edge to Ubuntu.
whenever Debianistas pop up anywhere, they tend to be vicious about Ubuntu. All that vituperation reminds me of having to deal with communist student organizations at university--a lot of bitter recriminations about how the movement has been betrayed, and not a lot of positive action to help anybody.

briancurtin
April 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Ubuntu to me is highly advanced Debian Sid, absolute bleeding edge
ubuntu is bleeding edge?

how do you figure that?

bonzodog
April 12th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Dapper is bleeding edge at the moment in the majority of cases, though there are a few pieces of software that are listed as 'stable'. Plus, the next release of ubuntu (dapper +1) is going to contain a lot of Beta class packages, and will be significantly less stable than Dapper. That one will mark the first part of the next development cycle.
There is, in essence, 4 releases to every major cycle - Dapper can be thought of as 'Version 1' , and so Dapper +1 will be '1.1' and will be done in less than 4 months, as they aim to get it out as 6.10, October 2006. Dapper +4 will mark the next Major release, which the previous 3 will have been building up to.

Qrk
April 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Ubuntu is stairs, Debian unstable is a ramp.