PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving HDD to New Computer

Deuce1912
October 3rd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hello, today I obtained a computer from a friend who had just bought a new computer, and they were getting rid of the old one. Being a linux user I couldn't let a perfectly good albeit slow Windows XP computer go to waste. With Ubuntu 10.04 install it is lightning fast.

I've noticed it is faster than the current computer I use as a server, and want to migrate the HDD over to the new machine. I know there are issues when doing so with Windows as it registers the hardware and has major heartburn with this, so I was wondering if Ubuntu or linux in general will have any problems. I simply want to move it over.

I don't have a problem with reformatting as it has it's own /home partition, but for obvious reasons I would like to minimize down time.

I did a search on google and on the forums here and I didn't find what I want to do.

Any and all help in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Deuce1912

McNils
October 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Just move the disk and boot. Make sure that the inserted hdd is the first.
If you change graphics card and have a xorg.conf that specifies the driver you need to change to the correct driver.

Deuce1912
October 3rd, 2010, 09:03 AM
So basically there is another reason why Linux is awesome? I love it. Started using Ubuntu on 7.04, and it's only gotten better. It's all I'm running on my personal laptop.

Thanks for the help.

Deuce1912
October 4th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that it worked like a charm. Didn't even have an issue with the video driver. I did see an nvidia driver that I'm downloading as I type this, but that's about it.

Thanks for you help!

Deuce1912