PDA

View Full Version : It's time to have this sorted... 'Create Document' feature

bra|10n
October 3rd, 2010, 04:17 AM
I am referring to the 'Create Document' option, right mouse click and the lack of functionality this feature currently offers in Nautilus. Discussions in no fewer than six bug reports in the past have circled without progress and sadly at the moment activity has ceased entirely.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4471/screenshotqmn.png

From memory the oldest related bug goes back as far as 2007.
In summary there seems to be a number of views on how this feature should function and what options to offer the user. They are:

1. That the current behaviour of the feature be retained, perhaps with a few generic templates of the most common applications included, thus avoiding the blank folder scenario we currently have upon new install.

2. That the concept of template files be totally re-thought, and a true document-template function be created that adds usability, gloss and polish to the gnome desktops we use.

I make no secret of the fact that I am an advocate of the latter option, and somewhat bewildered by past discussion on this matter.

The current bug discussion can be found here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/372132

So I wanted to survey the forums for their thoughts and ideas on this, what would you like to see, how would you foresee using this feature etc...

Austin25
October 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
I would.

Dr Belka
October 3rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
I kinda like the way the feature works. I create alot of skeleton files in ~/Templates. I have some for papers, notes, and all sorts of skeleton code files and it seems to work out well for me.

Troublegum
October 3rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Dito, the thing does exactly what one expect from it. I don't miss any new feature.

Austin25
October 3rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
How do you do that?

bra|10n
October 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I kinda like the way the feature works. I create alot of skeleton files in ~/Templates. I have some for papers, notes, and all sorts of skeleton code files and it seems to work out well for me.

Cheers Dr Belka for your reply,
Could you elaborate on exactly what you do and how you use it

Dr Belka
October 3rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
How do you do that?

You create documents of whatever type (.txt, .java, .odt) in the ~/Templates folder, and then it will give you the option to create a duplicate file when you click on "Create Document". It then immediately allows you to rename it.

Bachstelze
October 3rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
I didn't even know this feature existed until now, so definitely "I-don't-give-a-damn".

Troublegum
October 3rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
Just copy/save your template to ~/Templates and thats it.
It's also described in the launchpad document you've posted above.

I'm surprised you don't know how to use this feature, yet you assume its buggy.

bra|10n
October 3rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
you create documents of whatever type (.txt, .java, .odt) in the ~/Templates folder, and then it will give you the option to create a duplicate file when you click on "Create New". It then immediately allows you to rename it.

And what do you do with the file on the desktop? Move it?, or delete it if you chose 'Save as'

bra|10n
October 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Just copy/save your template to ~/Templates and thats it.
It's also described in the launchpad document you've posted above.

I'm surprised you don't know how to use this feature, yet you assume its buggy.

Thanks Troublegum,
I know how to use it, though I question only how efficient it is

Dr Belka
October 3rd, 2010, 05:27 AM
nevermind

pt123
October 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Wow this is so much better than crap on Windows. Wait till MS patent it.

Maybe a tutorial on how to use Templates should be provide in Examples folder