PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] user directory's are missing

Hoopz
October 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM
I am new to linux and have been learning new commands etc. I am running ubuntu 10.04 at the moment. Anyway I used the commands useradd and passwd to create a new user and went to log in as that user and I got several errors looked like a home directory wasn't set up for that user. Isn't the useradd command suppose to take care of this?

Hoopz
October 3rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Here are the errors when logging in as the user I created. I get three of them.

1st error: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/travis/.ICEauthority

2nd Error: There is a problem with the configuration server. (user/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)

3rd Error: Nautilus could not create the following required folder: /home/travis/Desktop, /home/travis/.nautilus

then I am left at a blank desktop background and have to hit the reset button or do control alt f2 to get to a command line to shutdown the system

So my best guess is that the program that creates the user directories isn't working right but I am new to linux and I am not sure how to fix this

ankspo71
October 3rd, 2010, 02:09 AM
Hi,
I just glanced through the useradd man page and it says this:

-m, --create-home
Create the users home directory if it does not exist. The files and directories contained in the skeleton directory (which can be
defined with the -k option) will be copied to the home directory.

By default, no home directories are created.
You can see this information by typing man useradd in the terminal.

sisco311
October 3rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
From man useradd:

useradd is a low level utility for adding users. On Debian/Ubuntu, administrators should usually use adduser(8) instead.

EDIT: D'oh! ankspo71 beat me to it. :)

Hoopz
October 3rd, 2010, 02:37 AM
ah ha!! Guess I need to learn to use the man command as well. Thanks to both of you.