PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install Ubuntu on Sony Vaio Y2 - general problem with Intel HD graphics?

one_paulie
October 3rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Hi all,

I have been attempting to install Ubuntu on my Sony Vaio Y-series (VPCY2) with Intel HD integrated graphics. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts.

I have tried the following versions:

- Ubuntu 9.10 from CD and bootable USB
- Ubuntu 10.04 from CD and bootable USB
- Ubuntu 10.10 from bootable USB

All of these attempts have encountered a non-responsive black screen from the start, no splash screen, no menu, no option for live-cd use, nothing.

It seems to be a similar problem to that discussed here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1550153&highlight=vpcy2), but that hasn't come up with any solutions yet. I think it might have something to do with incompatibility with the intel integrated graphics - but if this is the case, I am surprised that even the latest Ubuntu 10.10 has the same problem.

Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying this for a while now, and am on the point of giving up.

Many thanks,

Paul

spcwingo
October 3rd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Have you tried these kernel parameters at boot:

i915.modeset=0

or

i915.modeset=1

I've had laptops I've installed Ubuntu on that did exactly what you're describing. If you need help with inputting those parameters just let me know. ;)

thelastquincy
October 3rd, 2010, 06:23 AM
i have the same graphics card and I have no problems installing ubuntu. are u booting from a live cd? usb? i would check that you have a clean disk and the correct iso. :)

one_paulie
October 3rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Have you tried these kernel parameters at boot:

i915.modeset=0

or

i915.modeset=1

I've had laptops I've installed Ubuntu on that did exactly what you're describing. If you need help with inputting those parameters just let me know. ;)

Thanks both for the replies :-) I did try both of these parameter settings - unfortunately the second one had no effect, and the first one did allow booting the live cd, but then everything conssitently freezes. I did only try this with 10.04 - do you think that it will make any difference if I try it with 10.10? I'm afraid that I tried this a little while ago and can't remember the details. I can try again in the next few days though with 9.10 and 10.10 from USB.

I have a live cd for both 9.10 and 10.04 which I've used to install Ubuntu successfully on other machines, but they don't work on the Sony laptop which is why I think its a hardware issue rather than a broken image. Now I'm using USB installs just because its easier - reformatting the USB drive each time.

My intention is to dual boot windows 7 (required for work, already installed) with Ubuntu (also required for work, but also personal stuff), so I can't go from an empty hard disk (if that's what you meant).

Thanks again.

etrams
October 4th, 2010, 05:42 AM
You need to download the alternative installer and install in text-based. Once you have installed you need to add "nomodeset" to your kernel parameters. (press e to edit and just added after 'quiet splash'

That should take you to console, just login and run

sudo Xorg -configure

that should create an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/

Then edit that file and change the driver from intel to vesa.

Very likely you wont be able to change your resolution, but hey, it works!

tino.truppel
October 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I have the same issue with my Sony Vaio VPCY2, Intel HD Graphics and a fresh installed Ubuntu 10.10. After GRUB the internal screen goes black (back light is still on). However, an external monitor works.

I tried i915.modeset=0 and i915.modeset=1. Sure the VESA mode works, but VESA only supports 1024x768 and 800x600 (unusable with a widscreen).

I know other users with a VPCY2 and a ATI card do not have the problem.

Any help would be great. Even a hint where I can ask for help.

Thanks
Tino

xalbert76
November 9th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Did someone manage to solve this issue ? I have the same problem on VPCY2 under Ubuntu 10.04. VESA works but with intel driver I must use the external screen. I noticed that xrandr gives the physical size next to LVDS1 as 0mm x 0mm. Does it mean the driver does not recognize the size of the laptop screen ? Could this point to a solution ?

Thanks,

Roman

spcwingo
November 10th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Try:

nomodeset