PDA

View Full Version : explaining linux. . .

TrendyDark
April 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
How often do you find yourself explaining your Linux OS to your friends? May it be when they ask to check their email or when they ask you to try something "Windows Specific". . .

I often find myself explaining what Linux is, esspecially when people come over and ask if they can hop on my computer to check their email. It kind of frightens them at first, because they think they'll visit Hotmail via a command line, which quickly turns to "Oh your desktop looks cool."

aysiu
April 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Most people don't even realize they're using Linux when they hop on my computer (we do have frequent guests--friends from out of town).

NeghVar
April 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I gave up trying, I now just tell people my computer is possesed by demons...

I actually don't bother trying, every1 i try to explain it to wonders when MS put that out.

MenZa
April 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
- "Umm, what's that brown thingy [boot splash]? Uh-bong-too?"
- "Ubuntu. A Linux -- well, GNU distro."
- "Wha'?"

* Insert 200 lines on random facts, including Linux > XP *

- "But I don't want this Linox. I want Windows XP!"

...and it goes on and on. *sigh*.

Perfect Storm
April 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Normally I don't mention I'm using linux when I'm with friends only when conversation starts rolling towards computer talk and it's not started by me.

But the good thing my father and brother said they want linux on their computers too. They are so tired of fighting with malware and non-function stuff which can only be solved with a clean install (Then after a month a clean install again and again and again).
So my linux talk made some of my family to move towards linux after I show them how to do this and that with an easy or two.

But I have removed one of the ubuntu machines at work after countless complained in 2 months that the buttons in Open Office aren't the same place as MS Office :rolleyes: . ( we are talking about people who can't even do anything with a computer here). So I drop explaining linux at work.

bjweeks
April 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
What are you talking about? All computer are run my windows.

Kvark
April 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Just say that Ubuntu is an alternative to Windows and Mac OSX. No need to explain what Linux is or even mention that Ubuntu is a Linux distribution.

ice60
April 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
i tell everyone who sees it that i wrote it myself and i'll give them a copy for 100 :twisted:

prizrak
April 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
The only thing I ever have to explain is where my shortcuts are. As I have a shortcut bar that autohides on top of the monitor instead of having them on the desktop. That however is no different from how I had Windows setup so no more eplaining than that.

poofyhairguy
April 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Them- "What is Linux/Ubuntu?"

Me- "A community that I am a part of."

Them- "Whats it for?"

Me- "To get certain software to those who want it."

Them- "Why would I want it?"

Me- "I don't know, but you already have it on your blender/Tivo/Cell Phone"

Sonique
April 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
i tell everyone who sees it that i wrote it myself and i'll give them a copy for 100 :twisted:

lol I am so badly going to use your idea ! Most people will believe it..

bjweeks
April 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Isn't that how mircosoft started? :)

NeghVar
April 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Isn't that how mircosoft started?

No they licensed all their software, they didn't sell the software, they just sold the right to use it/sell it.

bjweeks
April 11th, 2006, 09:33 PM
No they licensed all their software, they didn't sell the software, they just sold the right to use it/sell it.

Same difference.

MenZa
April 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Them- "What is Linux/Ubuntu?"

Me- "A community that I am a part of."

Them- "Whats it for?"

Me- "To get certain software to those who want it."

Them- "Why would I want it?"

Me- "I don't know, but you already have it on your blender/Tivo/Cell Phone"

Sweet. Perhaps I gotta use that sometime.

TeeAhr1
April 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
- "But I don't want this Linox. I want Windows XP!"
That's the beautiful thing about our society. You are free to pay whatever absurd amount of money you wish for any piece of half-baked crap you can imagine. Let it slide.

Stormy Eyes
April 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM
How often do you find yourself explaining your Linux OS to your friends? May it be when they ask to check their email or when they ask you to try something "Windows Specific". . .

I don't explain or justify anything. I tell them straight out that I am not willing to tolerate Microsoft's defective OS or spend a metric assload of money on a Mac, so I use Linux instead. If they ask me what Linux is, I then tell them that Linux is a clone of Unix, which predates Windows by at least a decade and was originally developed by AT&T.

The thought of AT&T having been involved in software development is usually enough to make their heads asplode.

ubernoob
April 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I just show them Xgl/Compiz. They want to see. Words and advanced bash scripts just confuses them. Then I tell them that they can't have it on Windows, and they can't have linux. No need to say more. People always wants what they can't have. ;)

aysiu
April 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I was on these very forums today during lunch and another staff member walked over.

"What's... U... Bun... Tu?"
"It's an operating system."
"Oh" [confused look] "What does it do?"
"Well, it's an operating system, but it's not Windows or Mac. And it's free."
"Well, what do you do with it?" [still confused-looking]
"I have it at home and I do just about everything with it--surf the internet, write emails, word process..."
"Oh, wow. It does all that?"
"Yeah."
[Still confused-looking, walks away]

I find her later, after I've booted up a live CD on a spare computer in the office and show her, "This is Ubuntu. See? I have OpenOffice for word processing and Firefox here and Tetris..."

She interrupted quickly, "Oh, Tetris is so much fun. You can get lost on that for hours. Well, that's cool. Thanks for showing me." She walks away.

It's a little awkward because I want to be able to say, "Free yourself! Embrace Ubuntu!" But at the same time, I know Ubuntu would not be for her. She loves her iTunes. What am I going to do, say, "Here, try Gtkpod and AmaroK. Gtkpod is ugly and hard to figure out--AmaroK may crash on you, but..."?

I'm just glad I got a chance to show it to her. I also sent her a link to the Ubuntu homepage and a screenshot of what my Ubuntu desktop at home looks like.

A name like Ubuntu certainly piques people's curiosity.

P.S. Out of the four or five people I've actually discussed Ubuntu with, three were really excited only about Tetris.

P.P.S. She kind of freaked out at first because she thought I'd installed Ubuntu on to the work computer. I had to go into a whole explanation about live CDs and RAM. I can't remember that whole exchange, but it was crazy.

towsonu2003
April 20th, 2006, 10:20 PM
May it be when they ask to check their email. . .

A. Where the hell is Firefox? Uhm, where is "Start"??
Me. Click on the Fox on top of the screen
A. Oh, ok
*time goes on*
A. Can I play music?
Me. Sure, click this and that and this, select this and that, than click Play.
A. Oh, ok.
*time goes on*
A. [referring to conky] What's this weird thing?
Me. It monitors the system.
A. Oh, ok
*time passes*
*hits ctrl+alt+right arrow by mistake or something*
A. Oh, ****. Windows crashed again!
Me. Whaaaaaaaaaaat??! Uhm, click this [pointing to Workspace 2]
A. ??
Me. That was the 3rd Desktop
A. Third?
Me. Yea
A. Nice Windows theme. Can you install this to my PC?
Me. :twisted:

Nequeo
April 21st, 2006, 05:15 AM
But I have removed one of the ubuntu machines at work after countless complained in 2 months that the buttons in Open Office aren't the same place as MS Office :rolleyes: . ( we are talking about people who can't even do anything with a computer here). So I drop explaining linux at work.

I HEAR you! Loud and clear.

I just spent 15 minutes today painstakingly adding Word's 'reviewing option' buttons into the 'Tools' menu - because the user wanted Word to look exactly like it did under Office 2000. This despite the fact that the reviewing toolbar was turned on, every function she needed only one click away. Nooo, she had to have a multi-layered menu to do the same thing, because that's what she was used to.

I guess this is the perfect example of a 'high syntactic, low semantic' knowledge user. They know exactly what button to press - but have no grasp of the overall concept and founder completely if the buttons move*.

* Disclaimer: Not that this in any way reflects on their overall intelligence or ability in any other area of human endeavour. The people I support pull six figure salaries for a reason.

mostwanted
April 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM
When Warty was first out I got a stack of CDs and tried to distribute it to some people I know (one to my Maths teacher, one of my more computer-literate friends, ...) and I explained how it's free and gratis. One of my other friends were very puzzled. He couldn't understand how a company could offer an OS at zero cost, he said. I explained to him it was a part of a larger project where programmers from all around the world program it, many in their spare time, but a lot do get paid as well! He still asked me how that could possible be economically viable (he's taking an Economics class :p), he didn't get the scale of things I guess, but he did have a point. I didn't give him a CD because I know it wouldn't be for him (he plays a lot of computer games).

Another experience I had when I distributed some Breezy CDs to my computer class: People started questioning me why I didn't use Windows, they were very skeptical. I tried explaining that I simple liked Ubuntu better, but they didn't seem to think I was telling the truth; some made pretentious remarks about it, others could accept it. I distributed Breezy CDs to everyone in the class though, but to my horror people didn't respect the fact that they were given CDs with a certain value. It's like they thought that if it's free then it's automatically crap and CDs started flying around the class room. Not everyone did this of course, but others seemed to just forget their CDs in the class. It was all very dissappointing for me and I decided not to do any more direct Ubuntu preaching, because regular people are so indoctrinated by Windows that I won't bother trying to convince them there's a better alternative.

GreyFox503
April 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
mostwanted:

That's too bad, what happened to you. I understand the strange urge to go and let everyone else know about this new discovery you've had. (At least when it was new).

Now I just let people come to me.

3rdalbum
April 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM
My sister, who's not especially good with computers, had no trouble using Ubuntu on my computer. Granted, Epiphany was already open and that's all she was using, but she clicked the "No" button in the Password Manager prompt like she'd done it a thousand times before. (well, not quite!)

She did notice it was a different operating system. She asked me if the X button did the same as in Windows.

-----
My friend Joe barely noticed, really. He said he'd probably seen Ubuntu before. I was using the computer, though.

---------
I was so proud of my father. I had left myself logged into Ubuntu, and he wanted to use the Mac. He managed to log off, restart into Mac, and then get back to Ubuntu without my help. I had left some instructions for booting into Ubuntu because I have a weird dual-boot setup (it involves entering Open Firmware and typing some stuff), but all the same it was very nice.

He had a lot of trouble comprehending that I didn't have to pay anything to get the Ubuntu disks shipped to me.

-------
I even kinda explained it to my grandfather. I mentioned that I'd installed something onto my computer which gave it a new lease of life, but that was a bit too complicated for him to use. :-)

yatt
April 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM
Everybody that I tell that I am running Linux has a good idea what Linux is.

My Uncle came over for Easter Dinner and said "Is that Linux?" when he say my screen.

If the person does not figure it out, I just let them belive I skinned Windows somehow.

ChrisNTR
April 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
The way I got into Linux was having to use Debian on the pc's at uni. Except at uni they always seem to crash, probably because they are on crap spec machines and get so much use out of them - I don't know but I didn't just want to use Debian at uni so I decided to install it on my laptop - but went for the easier option Ubuntu. :D

I tried getting my sister to use Ubuntu after showing her the XGL/Compiz but then quickly said that I hadn't even set it up myself so I couldn't get it working for her.. she still agreed to try out a live cd but when I was burning it, it failed so she couldn't use it :(

BoyOfDestiny
April 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
I gave up trying, I now just tell people my computer is possesed by demons...

I actually don't bother trying, every1 i try to explain it to wonders when MS put that out.

I think you mean daemons. :)