PDA

View Full Version : Using DroidX as Network Device over BT works outta the box

samalex
October 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I just found a neat surprise with my new DroidX phone. This afternoon I set it up on my laptop as a bluetooth device to copy some music to the DroidX, and in setting it up it had the option to use the DroidX as an internet connection. I figured what the heck and checked it, then in NetworkManager the DroidX is now listed as a device.

So I disconnected from my wifi router and connected to the phone, and I'm online! I'm using it now :) Just to verify I went to IPChichen which verified I was connected through myvzw.com. I even ran two speed tests through Broadband Reports and Speedtest.net which both showed about 1Mb down and 90 Kb up which isn't surprising since our 3G support in the area sucks.

Anyway, FYI for anyone looking for a quick Internet option using their phone. Also note, both my phone and the laptop are stock with on extra software. I did use my wife's DroidX a few weeks ago to get online via USB which worked with some added software, but my phone doesn't have that software installed.

Just thought I'd share ....