PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to enumerate USB device on port

chrisclay
October 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
hi i have been trying to add an external hard disk to my ubuntu server but when i connect the disk to the usb port while the server is running i get the following message "unable to enumerate USB device on port 5" it just sits there and repeats the same message a few more times if i try to connect the disk to the usb port and then boot up it stops responding just before starting to load grub
the hard disk in the usb enclosure is a ide disk and all other drives on the system are sata

any ideas would be appreciated

chis

Tehclaw
October 2nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
I have the same problem on my laptop. The only 'work-around' I have, is to wait it out - sooner or later (1min - 30 mins) linux will recognize and display the device in nautilus.

I have had this problem for 1½ years now, but no one seems to want to recognize this as a real problem and create a fix for it.

You can find old bug reports on the very topic in google.

It sucks.:-|

chrisclay
October 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi i have solved the problem on on my system it seams that it is a hardware problem so i swapped the usb drive to another i have same problem so i tried all the ports on my system still no good so the final thing i tried was to change the usb device cable aand the problem went away

djheadley
October 7th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I'm trying to use a usb sound "card" and have this problem. I am running an hp dv6700, dual core. The sound in the machine died before I got it (I got it cheap enough).