PDA

View Full Version : Grayed out Forward button in "Who are you?"

FranciscusA
October 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
I can't install Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bits) because the Forward button is grayed out in the "Who are you?" box.

I tried installing with various options (with and w/o additional software and with and w/o online updating, manual and automatic partitioning, going back and forth, trying different ways to fill out the fields in the stuck "Who are you?" page etc.)

The most cynical is that at the bottom it says: "Ready when you are..." - which obviously isn't true - it should say: "I am utterly stuck...".

Machine is a dual 275 Opteron with 16 GB registered RAM on an Iwill DK88 mobo. 3 SATA disks and 2 IDE disks. Latest BIOS.

Any help very appreciated!

sikander3786
October 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Did you check the MD5SUM of the downloaded image?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Also try to check the disc for errors. There is an option if you press any key as soon as the system starts booting from the CD. If it is the case, try to burn a new disc at the lowest possible speed.

As a last note, you are a new member, so just to tell you that 10.10 is still RC. The stable will come out on 10/10/2010. Do you really know that you are going to install a pre-released version? If you don't, go for the 10.04.1. It is a long term supported release and most of the bugs in it have been fixed already.

And Welcome to the forums. :-)

speedbird25
October 4th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hi!

I had the same error. It resulted from a wrong username format (username contained a "."). I then chose a valid username.

Regards,
Stephan

teebiddy
October 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this. I'd put a '.' in my username and it wasn't immediately obvious that this isn't allowed.

silacom-tech
October 11th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Hi, I am a complete newbie but wanted to interject something (if everyone already knows this then I'm sorry) but I experienced the exact same problem with the 32-bit version.

In my case the username I created began with a Capital letter. As soon as I changed it to a lower case letter I was able to click the forward button.

Hope this helps someone!

benerickson1
October 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks! I'm the guy. It helped me!

phenixdoc
October 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
me 2, they should put a message about invalid username or something :)

rlmorrisonwy@hotmail.com
November 16th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Me 3 - (had a cap in the user name) Thanks!:)

eurospoofer
March 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Same again, using a capital to start the name.

This is on 10.10 netbook, 32 bit. I guess it'll apply to all versions, but could do with some visual aid to indicate the offending field.

Quackers
March 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
The only clue you get is the lack of a green tick after the field.

Gaz_Jones
March 29th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi all. I had exactly the same problem, and found this site googling the issue. I just joined to say thanks to Speedbird. Like Francis, I had tried playing around with all the settings to fix the issue (well, so I thought!). I'm annoyed I'm annoyed it was something so simple to be honest, I feel defeated! :lol:

sikander3786
March 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hi all. I had exactly the same problem, and found this site googling the issue. I just joined to say thanks to Speedbird. Like Francis, I had tried playing around with all the settings to fix the issue (well, so I thought!). I'm annoyed I'm annoyed it was something so simple to be honest, I feel defeated! :lol:
Good luck for your further stay with Ubuntu. At least glad to know that you found it :-)