PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [maverick] Random stuttering video/audio when mouse NOT moving

H3g3m0n
October 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Since updating to 10.10, randomly sometimes the CPU usage will just up (although it's generally only 1 of the cores), it seems that it might be the Xorg process using it.

Audio and Video will start to stutter and the screen will stop updating so things like the terminal will appear frozen unless the mouse is moved.

When moving the mouse the screen keeps updating and the cpu usage lowers (although video still skips).

After a few minutes the problem just seems to go away until it happens again later.

Using the nvidia drivers.

iMerlin
October 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Experiencing this as well. Appears to be everything in X11 though. Typing sometimes slow as well.

CPU load: 0.52, 0.41, 0.45

The only processing consuming unusually much CPU is xorg

Just upgraded from Lucid, disappointed :(

thndrkat
October 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Experiencing this issue also on a toshiba nb305 netbook. Music/video sticks if the mouse is not moved periodically. Also, I have noticed strange behavior during boot that 10.10 will not load if I don't move the mouse.

Morrog
October 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM
i'm also experiencing this rather annoying problem, on a dell inspiron 1750. i didn't have it in 9.10 or 10.04

this seems to be a working solution for me, so far:

gksudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
and then add tsched=0 to the line with 'load-module module-udev-detect'

so it becomes:
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

GartenEden
October 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Same problem here. For me Morrog does NOT work.

zuerston
October 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Same here at times, also see my post about Firefox video, it could be related.

tomsib2001
October 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Same problem here. This is really annoying. The proposed solution does not work.

Eric89GXL
October 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Same problem. Is there a bug report somewhere we could subscribe to?

EDIT: I couldn't find one, so I submitted one:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/661327

schneil
October 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hi all

Got exactly the same problem on my dell latitude D505. Stuttering audio, seems to follow a regular cycle, about once every 5 seconds.
Didn't have this problem in 10.04 or 9.10.

Very annoying as I use the laptop for spotify, last fm and the rest.

Eric89GXL
October 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
If we want this fixed in a timely fashion, it would help if people could subscribe to the bug and post that they are experiencing the issue, too. We can also try to narrow down what is common to all of our systems, if anything. In the report I submitted, all of my hardware is listed... if people could subscribe and post their configurations, it could help the devs track down the issue.

Speaking of which, is anyone experiencing this not using an NVIDIA graphics card? I am, and I had this problem with both the proprietary drivers and nouveau.

RJARRRPCGP
October 17th, 2010, 04:56 AM
the screen will stop updating so things like the terminal will appear frozen unless the mouse is moved.

When moving the mouse the screen keeps updating

God, that sounds like the stupid QEMU virtual machine bug I remembered seeing, when using XP on QEMU.

One bizarre bug!

glaeken
October 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Same here, Acer Extensa 5630EZ
tshed=0 somewhat elminated the problem, BUT some applications still need mouse movement to refresh properly.
What is more interesting, VERTICAL movement.
:D

dimeotane
November 4th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Same problem here on Toshiba NB205

Could it be related to this post?
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9948670
His issue he says is from IPv6 being active by default.

Eric89GXL
November 12th, 2010, 12:07 AM
The issue was resolved for me by upgrading to the 2.6.36 kernel, which you can get from the mainline ppa.

dimeotane
November 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks Eric, giving this a shot now. This problem has been so annoying without a fix from Ubuntu updates. 10.10 has been a frustrating experience so far, with too many problems.

I've gone to :

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.37-rc2-maverick/

and I'm downloading the linux-headers and linux-image for i386 now. Hope this solves it for me too. I'll report back later.