PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu One Music Store

limestone
October 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I was checking out https://one.ubuntu.com/music/ and noticed that the audio files are "high quality 256 kbps or higher MP3 audio encoding"..
I personally think that Ubuntu should support ogg vorbis by offering the alternative to choose mp3 or ogg.
The ogg format is highly underestimated and that should be changed..

Read more here http://www.vorbis.com/

qamelian
October 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Whether or not ogg sounds better than MP3 is often subjective and can very much depend on how the audio has been encoded. A carefully encoded MP3 can sound just as good as an ogg.

Frankly, I think you'll find most people, myself included, own players that don't support the ogg format. I like my player just fine thank you and don't have any interest in either replacing it with one that supports ogg, nor in transcoding my purchases from ogg to MP3 before I can play them.

Besides, the Ubuntu Music Store is just an Ubuntu-branded facade for an existing business (7digital) that has nothing to do with Ubuntu, Linux, or FOSS principles.

ubunterooster
October 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
...The Ubuntu Music Store is just an Ubuntu-branded....[of] 7digitalThis
:(

limestone
October 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Whether or not ogg sounds better than MP3 is often subjective and can very much depend on how the audio has been encoded. A carefully encoded MP3 can sound just as good as an ogg.

Now when we have hard drive capacity there should be no audio compressed files.
All should be in raw format for the ultimate sound experience, like AIFF :)

Dustin2128
October 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Now when we have hard drive capacity there should be no audio compressed files.
All should be in raw format for the ultimate sound experience, like AIFF :)
or flac for that matter.

Half-Left
October 2nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
It's already been said that 7Digtial only provide the two formats and that Canonical didn't want to pressure them for over ogg. They're just the most common format.

squilookle
October 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
I use mp3 because all the players I have work with it, which is sadly not the case for ogg. I would like to support ogg, but I don't think it will ever happen. :(

bash
October 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
or flac for that matter.

Yea flac would really be nice. Sure the files are a bit larger, but disk space isn't an issue any more these days. And it being a lossless format would allow you to still re-encode it to whatever format you like.

koleoptero
October 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Yea flac would really be nice. Sure the files are a bit larger, but disk space isn't an issue any more these days. And it being a lossless format would allow you to still re-encode it to whatever format you like.

Yeah we can all afford 2 or 3 TB hard drives, and multiple ones at that.

I have a 34k song collection which would "weigh" too much if it was in flac. Mp3 is just fine.

Plus what has been said about the rebranded 7digital store.