PDA

View Full Version : Please help...I dont want to go back to windows...

mrchaos101
October 2nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
I have been on this issue for 2 days. I am trying to learn Ubuntu as I go.

I have managed to get VIDEO to work in my browsers and I had sound at one point.

I got Wine installed and working and even manage to get World of Craft up and running very smoothly.

Some where in my Wine install/config'n and setup etc...and getting WoW to work..I killed the sound. No matter what I do I can't get the sound to work in my browser....or in game.

It is an Sound Blaster X-fi Fatality sound card.
Please help.

:confused:

akoskm
October 2nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
You killed the sound generally, and there is no playback from any sources (rythmbox, movie player) or just with wine?
Also, is this happening only when you have already started a program with wine? Do you have sound immediately after booting?
What is the selected sound system in wine configuration?
Did you remove any package from the default installation?

Jehdin
October 6th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I don't know if this will help but I had the same issue with the sound. To get it working in game I had to go into the sound options and change the sound option for high quality to medium, then change it back. It seems to do it whenever I minimize or change screens. It doesnt happen all the time, just once in awhile. Not a big deal...just more of a annoyance.

akoskm
October 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
In the case if you start them simultaneously, the first program which "grabs" your sound card will block the other. That's a common problem if your are running the same sound system on GNOME and Wine.
I have absolutely no sound in World of Warcraft - I switched off - but, in the case if I wanted to get some sound I would try first to start it through aoss wrapper script, like:

aoss wine Wow.exe
If you tested the sound separately and still won't work then the problem is somewhere else.