PDA

View Full Version : An Ubuntu Forums bookmark, by default

K.Mandla
October 2nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
I'd like to draw your attention to bug No. 602265 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/602265), which suggests not only updating some of the default bookmarks in Ubuntu's rendition of Firefox, but suggests adding a link to this site in a default installation.

You may or may not have noticed that a clean installation of Ubuntu links only to a support site, which amalgamates a number of resources into a common page. This is true for as far back as I can remember, and it appears that Ubuntu 10.10 will be the same.

Personally I believe, and some of the other staff members here agree, that a site as large and as influential as the Ubuntu Forums deserves a more prominent placement than that.

In a larger sense, this is not a new idea: Any number of distros link directly to support sites and help pages from directly within Firefox's bookmarks. No doubt you've seen such links in other distros.

Either way, as a forum member you have probably given help or been helped by this site; introducing new users to the forums as part of their initial Ubuntu experience would give them a chance to receive the same help and sense of community that we all enjoy. A direct link as a default bookmark would encourage that.

Tibuda
October 2nd, 2010, 12:48 AM
+1

And also a bookmark to the freenode webchat in the #ubuntu channel.
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu

NightwishFan
October 2nd, 2010, 01:02 AM
I agree, this is a great idea. Help and background reading are great for beginners and during a live CD install.

Hexster71FD
October 2nd, 2010, 01:03 AM
This forum deserves a bookmark by default. There's no reason there shouldn't be one.

It also should be more prominent on the ubuntu.com site. Right now it's buried three pages deep from the homepage (ubuntu.com/support/community), and it gets a two sentence paragraph half-way down the page.

Wow! The link on that page doesn't even take you to the forums! You have to navigate another ubuntu.com page(ubuntu.com/support/communit/webforums) and then click on the link there to actually get taken to the forums. What a hassle.

KdotJ
October 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
+1 for a bookmark. It's one of the first things I do anyway

kaldor
October 2nd, 2010, 02:45 AM
Yep.

CharlesA
October 2nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Agreed. It would be nice to have a link to the forums here.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
I can't rightly say I disagree, since on every install of a new browser Ubuntu Forums is one of the first sites I bookmark.

Naiki Muliaina
October 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
I give that a +1 sir.

I have not understood for ages why there's no direct link to Ubuntu Forums by default.

NCLI
October 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Added it as a papercut, it sounds like that kind of bug.

wojox
October 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
So do we just +1 this thread or should I write my congressman or what?

grahammechanical
October 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
+1

Especially if you do not know how to bookmark. As I did not. I found it a long process to get to the forum. I put off joining for many months after installing Ubuntu. Real reason? Could not think of a clever username. Users of other distros come to this forum for help, even those with Windows problems.

Install Ubuntu. Join the forum!

Regards

ubunterooster
October 2nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
I think I found it by searching "ubuntu forum"

Edit: recovered launchpad password to bump bug
ubunterooster (https://bugs.launchpad.net/%7Emirknight) wrote 5 seconds ago: #10 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/602265/comments/10) Many other distros do this, why not Ubuntu?

Elfy
October 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
So do we just +1 this thread or should I write my congressman or what?

You could do that - though I'm not sure your congressman would have much influence in either the Isle of Man or London ;)

Rather than write to my MP I just +1'd the bug

koleoptero
October 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
+4

(my vote counts for moar :P)

devondashla
October 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think this is a good idea, though honestly I don't use bookmarks and just end up deleting them on fresh installs. But nevertheless, +1. I'd take the next step after congressman and write to my governor, but he's crazy and wanted to make Texas its own country.