PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] ubuntu 10.04 64bit - virtualbox 3.2.8 - Gnome panel - mouse

hobbyhack
October 1st, 2010, 10:51 PM
Last night I upgraded virtualbox from 3.1.8 to 3.2.8. I am having an odd issue that started immediately after upgrading. After I click anywhere in a full screen virtual box when I come back to the host I can no longer use my gnome panel (top bar). If I click on Applications for example I can see that it has put a frame around the button, showing it was clicked, but the drop down menu never shows up. If I click on a window in the host I can then use the gnome panel again.

My setup:

Host: Pretty standard Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit install. I typically only use the host to open up VBs, use a browser, and maybe gedit. I also do some video editing on the host but not much is installed other than hardware packages beyond the base install. Virtualbox 3.2.8 - installed from package provided by downlaod.virtualbox.org repositories.
Hardware: 8gb of RAM, Nvidia graphics (compiz is working), Intel Core2Duo Quad, dedicated system and dedicated virtualbox hard drives using ext4 file systems (this is why I waited to install 3.2.x), logitech mx revolution mouse (btnx is installed), logitech g15 keyboard (with g15daemon and g15macro installed), 2 monitors (host on one, guest on the other in full screen)
Guest OSes: Mostly debian squeeze servers but I also have a Ubuntu 10.04 guest for home stuff and a Windows XP guest for work
Guest settings: New setting "Enable absolute pointing device" = disabled, USB is enabled but not in use

Testing/Results:

Upgraded guest additions to 3.2.8 - No change
Uninstalled and resinstalled guest additions - No change
Ubuntu and Windows guests have the same effect
Window mode instead of full screen mode - Window mode works fine. This only happens in full screen mode.
Gnome panel still autohides and unhides
Lower Gnome panel "bottom bar" is unaffected
Tried with guest 3d and 2d disabled and enabled
Once I use another window on the host I can then use the gnome panel again. As soon as I click anywhere in guest problem is back.

I am so excited about being able to have dual monitors in my guests I would really like to have 3.2.8 work. I have posted this in the virtualbox forums also but I am not certain it is a virtualbox issue. It is odd it only impacts Gnome Panel.

Any ideas or suggestions?

hobbyhack
October 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I tried reinstalling Virtual Box with no luck. I also noticed that this only impacts the drop down menus on the gnome panel. The icons I have on panel work fine.

ask@refcapgroup.com
October 12th, 2010, 10:18 AM
The problem it turns out has to do with the Mouse Integration with Virtualbox. You can get around this each time with a crude method. By simply pressing the host key. (Right Control). This will activate the gnome panel again.

hobbyhack
October 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I tried upgrading to Virtualbox 3.2.10 today and the problem still exists. I rolled back to virtuabox 3.1.8 and the problem went back away.

hobbyhack
October 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
There is a bug open now:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7422