PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default Desktop Side

Nxu5
October 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM
I recently switched to Ubuntu, but wanted it to have an OSX feel, since I really enjoy the style of OSX.

Hate all you want, but I can happily state I prefer Ubuntu as an OS, but much rather prefer the style of OSX's desktop.

I'm still finishing it up, and there are a few things that I am still to change.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2n0n4a1.png

As you can see, I have placed a shortcut to my HD on the right side, but whenever I download something, it appears on the left. I was wondering whether or not you are able to change the side of the desktop items appear on?

loopodoopo
October 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Nxu5,

I don't care how you think your desktop should look like as long as you are happy with it :)

You can change the download folder where Firefox stores files in, but I don't think you can give it a specific location in a folder. Note: your desktop is a folder to.

To change the default download location in Firefox: open Firefox > View > Preferences > General > save files to.

Nxu5
October 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
I understand what you mean, but I even when I take a screenshot or create a launcher, etc. it appears on the left. Is there any way to change it?

hrickh
October 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM
I understand what you mean, but I even when I take a screenshot or create a launcher, etc. it appears on the left. Is there any way to change it?
In short, no.

About the closest you can get is to move the icon(s) manually to the right, then lock them.

R.
==

Nxu5
October 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks a lot. Is there any way we can recommend a feature like this for future updates of Ubuntu, or is it a GNOME thing?

geek2330
October 2nd, 2010, 03:42 AM
is that dock the AWN ?
I've been away from ubuntu/kubuntu for a while and planing to install again on my home pc, I like that dock which looks like the Mac.

Thanks

Darkness Des
October 2nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
Alright, I am REALLY bad about this. THREAD HIJACKING IS BAD! But when I see a question I can't help but answer it. It's Docky, not AWN.