PDA

View Full Version : How many days off per year you have in your country and with your job ?

honeybear
October 1st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hi,

Want a better life?

Vacations play a great role in human happiness, health, and feeling of deserving something, ie. a good accomplishmenet of something.

"How many days off per year you have in your country and with your job ?"

Where potentially is it easier to live? Is US still today the land of all promises, still compatible with better life standard than in other places/countries/regions?

:popcorn:
Enjoy the discussion

[

endotherm
October 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
well, in the US, most employers observe 10 federal holidays or none, depending on whether you work in the service sector or not.

I was taught in several cultural diversity/international communications classes, that Americans are too concerned about time (cause time = $), and as a result have far less paid time off than the western European countries.

crl0901
October 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
Well, this year I'll get 11 days off due to Holidays. I get another month or so (30 days) of paid vacation. So, 41 days total. I live in the United States by the way, and I've been at this job for a year.

honeybear
October 1st, 2010, 04:37 PM
well, in the US, most employers observe 10 federal holidays or none, depending on whether you work in the service sector or not.

I was taught in several cultural diversity/international communications classes, that Americans are too concerned about time (cause time = $), and as a result have far less paid time off than the western European countries.

10 days off of vacations only (!?); this means only 2 weeks, really?
In practice, but you work less than 8 hours a day or go to over?

regularly depending on country, isnt 25 days off a sort of standard, principally in Europe...

endotherm
October 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM
10 days off of vacations only (!?); this means only 2 weeks, really?
In practice, but you work less than 8 hours a day or go to over?

regularly depending on country, isnt 25 days off a sort of standard, principally in Europe...

well I was refering to federal holidays. a large portion (perhaps a majority) of the US workforce doesn't get paid vacation at all, so holidays are all you get. in fact, it has been impossible thus far to even get everyone guaranteed sick leave so they don't get fired if ill. disturbing that the food service industry seems to be most opposed to this idea.

Most white collar professionals will have 2-3 weeks paid off in addition to holidays, depending on their longevity at their employer. those with 30 years in at most firms have around 5 weeks paid/year.

Blue collar industries vary depending on how many layers of subcontracting exist between you and the company you are doing the work for. if you work for GM, you probably get 2-3 weeks, but if you work for a company subcontracted through ACDelco, who was contracted by GM, then you probably don't get any.

CraigPaleo
October 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Well, this year I'll get 11 days off due to Holidays. I get another month or so (30 days) of paid vacation. So, 41 days total. I live in the United States by the way, and I've been at this job for a year.

What!? You've only been there for a year and you get a MONTH paid vacation? Are you hiring?

My last job I worked for 14 years and got 10 days paid vacation and no holidays (service industry) They tried to make it so you only had to work either Christmas or Thanksgiving but not both.

Fabbritzio
October 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
A month of paid vacation = 21 days paid vacation. Normal civilized country's.

Besides the vacation (21 working days = 1 calendar month), i have 10 - 12 days off do to national/religious holidays.

KiwiNZ
October 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hi,

Want a better life?

Vacations play a great role in human happiness, health, and feeling of deserving something, ie. a good accomplishmenet of something.

"How many days off per year you have in your country and with your job ?"

Where potentially is it easier to live? Is US still today the land of all promises, still compatible with better life standard than in other places/countries/regions?

:popcorn:
Enjoy the discussion

-- Notice --
Please admin/moderators do not close the thread by any "stupid" own appreciation or any blindfull young moderation personal self opinion. If something or a post is not according to some forum ubuntu's rules, please simply delete the post, "silently" & pacifically, indeed of closing the thread, which, in other words, brings nothing, simply proves that you have tendencies of "narrow-mind". Everyone has his own self opinion, own image of the world around, - we try to match to best acting for a better world and for us & others, just simply:

"- Ubuntu moderators, simply: respect yourself and others"

You made great job in this forum & for the community, we say from whole heart: thank you!

And with that Notice .... thread closed

KiwiNZ
October 1st, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thread reopened following private discussion with OP

samalex
October 1st, 2010, 09:55 PM
My work does the standard I guess, each year I get 10 days vacation plus 6 paid holidays plus one personal day as year. Also Sick time accrues at a few hours a month so that's there too.

Once I've been here 5 years vacation goes up to I think 15 days a year, but I don't know where it goes from there.

I know folks who work in schools and banks and seems they're off all the time. Must be nice :)

paulatlinux
October 1st, 2010, 09:59 PM
I live in Belgium (Europe) and I work fulltime in a shop. I have (besides 10 national/religious holidays, which are paid) 20 workdays for which I get the equivalent of 2 months pay. Do remember that this is Europe and we do pay allot of social and federal taxes.

mamamia88
October 1st, 2010, 10:34 PM
With my job I get a paid vacation for 1 week and i've only been there for a year. It's only part time while in college so this is great because I can take off spring break or the week of thanksgiving. I haven't used mine yet so sweet. How many part time jobs actually offer paid vacation?

Crowchild
October 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
In my territory we get the stat holidays (New Year's Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, First Monday in August, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, and National Aboriginal Day.)

And business tend to give 2 weeks to a month of paid holidays.

Furthermore, a lot of places let you take a year off every fourth year. If you choose to do this, your three years wages are spread out over four years.

I work for my own company and like to keep as high of work life balance as possible, so I choose to work 4 to 6 months of the year.

pizza-is-good
October 2nd, 2010, 01:28 AM
In Spain, you get 30 paid vacation days a year, plus about 10-15 more national holidays, all paid. Of course, taxes are sky high and the country is bankrupt. I wouldn't want to live there right now.

Jobs in SoCal (where I live): Usually you get 1 week off a year plus holidays for the first 10 years in a company. After 10 years, you get 2 weeks off.

~pizza

Old_Grey_Wolf
In the USA, payed time off varies widely.

I get 12 paid holidays, and 200 hours (the equivalent of 25 days) paid time that can be used for vacation or sick leave.

CharlesA
I think the correct answer is: Not enough. :P

MooPi
October 2nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
I have been with my current employer since 1984, and recieve 44 paid days off. That includes holidays and vacation time. Yeah not enough :-)

owoito
October 2nd, 2010, 04:25 AM
For me now, I have 4 weeks in a year, but I will be finishing my training program as an MD here in the US and I all the job offers are mostly 7 days on and 7 days off( so it boils down to working 6 months in a year!).

drawkcab
October 2nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
College Prof. 5 months off/yr. Of course you spend a lot of time conducting independent research during those off months, but the nice thing is you set your own schedule. If I work my butt of for a month and finish a paper early in the summer, I can take a month off and travel or whatever.

PhilGil
October 2nd, 2010, 05:49 AM
25 days per year of PTO (to be used for vacation or sick days), plus all federal holidays and the Friday after Thanksgiving. I've been with my employer for 10 years.

I wouldn't mind paying higher taxes to have European-style education, healthcare, infrastructure, and social benefits.

Warpnow
October 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Start a new job on Tuesday. Get 16 days of PTO and all normal holidays.

gandhini
October 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
i love holidays..its make me happy when i feel bored from my job....its play great role in change the human feelings..

honeybear
October 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
i love holidays..its make me happy when i feel bored from my job....its play great role in change the human feelings..

we shall all - Ask the boss for a rise and more vacations ;)

Companies say the more you can give holidays to workers, give them e.g. some extras when they do good job, the happier they will be, the more efficient and healthy they will be, they will bring far much more to the company and better productivity; and they'll have time for their familly, so more happiness even. But you know those management observations, funded on experience & with a working application, are most often forgotten by managers, bosses, or board, that today -well in Europe at least, do not barely care about status of employee, want all from employees and with a low salary, unfortunately. However this has an huge importance, - I personally, think to care about employees and offer them good working conditions but also life conditions in general.

Seņor Banana
October 2nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
On top of weekends and holidays, I earn 30 days of leave per year that I can save up (up to 90 days) and take 30 days of vacation at a time.
I'm doing that as we speak, as a matter of fact.

devondashla
October 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
I am a high school student in the US, so i get 185 days off a year including weekends. :-D

Just felt the need to put my two cents in.

rigao
October 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
I've got:

* Weekends (which is not always the case)
* National holidays (I haven't counted them, but it will be between 10 and 15).
* 22 days of holidays.
* 6 days extra for whatever reason I want (8 if 24 and 31 of December are in a weekend). Plus 1 day extra for every 3 years (it has a max though)
* Days where I'm sick until 2 month straight (at this point I won't be getting the full of my salary, but I won't lose the job either).

Of course all this paid.

As of today, I still has 21 days and 3 extra days. I've made the calculus and if I don't use any of these, I can start holiday at the end of November and don't return until 2011 :D

I'm from Spain, and I work for the government, so my conditions are pretty good.

BuffaloX
October 6th, 2010, 01:48 AM
5 weeks is the minimum in Denmark by law.

Siph0n
October 6th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Wow, everyone hear seems to have more "holidays" off than me... The company I work for gives 6 holidays off per year (USA).
Though we also get 20 other paid vacation days a year.

QwUo173Hy
October 6th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I was working for an American company here in Ireland. I heard that they were hoping to reduce the amount of paid holidays we get here and were hoping to make a deal with unions.

I left at that stage, but I do know that we get more holidays than people in the US. But even that wasn't enough! I couldn't even take unpaid leave there, and I was just a technician.

But I'm self employed now so I take the entire month of January off every year, as well as two fortnights during the year. I work most holidays though as we're in the music business.

hambone79
October 6th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I work for a Japanese company here in the US. I'm a mechanical engineer that (in my Japanese manager's mind) should work a minimum of 10 hours a day and should avoid using my 2 weeks of paid vacation each year. Since I am a sane human being, I only work about 9 hours a day and take my 10 days of vacation plus 10 or so company holidays each year.

amjjawad
October 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have 365 days OFF per year ;)

imol
October 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Here in Sweden, I get 30 days paid vacation (=6 weeks off), plus all the national holidays etc.

I usually take the month of July off (like most of Sweden) and then take the other 2 weeks scattered about the year.

Oh, we also get paid extra money while we are on vacation (don't get it until we get back though)

IMoL

RandomJoe
October 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
My previous employer (a big multinational) and current one (small mom-and-pop single-building operation) both observe the "major" holidays. Not all Federal ones by a long shot! Just New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (2 days), and Christmas (2 days).

The previous one gave me 20 days additional paid time off (after 10 years, started out at 5) which sure was nice... But I had to deal with the big-company bureaucratic BS as well, which killed the deal for me.

The current place only gives 2 weeks PTO for their non-union employees, but I'm free to take unpaid time as well. (Union members get NO PTO! The negotiators gave it up years ago in exchange for a pay raise.)

Happily, I owe no money to a bank (house and car paid for) and have sizable savings. So I don't need to work every hour I possibly can. I still take (at least) 20 days off per year, and occasionally consider more...!

phen
October 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM
In Spain, you get 30 paid vacation days a year, plus about 10-15 more national holidays, all paid. Of course, taxes are sky high and the country is bankrupt. I wouldn't want to live there right now.

Jobs in SoCal (where I live)...

Is there a country which is MORE bancrupt than the US, especially California? :-)

In germany, you have holidays (about 10 days) and something between 25 to 30 days of paid vacation depending on your age and your job.

Khakilang
October 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
16 public holiday. I am unemployed so 365 days holiday. LOL.

jespdj
October 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I live in The Netherlands. We have relatively few public holidays here (I think 9 days), and they are spread very unevenly over the year. Most of our public holidays are in May. Between Pentecost (usually at the end of May or beginning of June) and Christmas we don't have any public holidays at all.

As far as vacation days goes: I have my own, one-man company. I can take as much vacation as I like! :) But the bad thing is that whenever I don't work I don't get paid at all. :(

I think that it's usual that people working at regular jobs get between 25 working days (5 weeks) and 40 working days (8 weeks) of of paid vacation days here. But it also depends on what kind of work you do; teachers, for example, have many more holidays than most other people.

bouncingwilf
October 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Retired so I get them all off but before that, in theory 6 weeks paid vacation + public holidays but in practice I was so busy enjoying myself swanning around the world at my employers expense, I rarely had time to take them all!

bouncingwilf

Johan Karl Johansen
October 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
In Norway we get 5 weeks of vacation, in witch we receive 12% of last years salary. 15 days of paid holidays. In addition we get up to 21 days paid if we are sick.

msandoy
October 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well, I'm a marine engineer, so I'm sailing 8 weeks, and 8 weeks at home, all with full pay.