PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System info displayed at login

Karl1982
October 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
I've been trying to figure this out... What command does the system use to display this at login:

System information as of Fri Oct 1 08:35:54 CDT 2010

System load: 0.28
Usage of /: 10.8% of 17.89GB
Memory usage: 51%
Swap usage: 3%

Processes: 112
Users logged in: 1
IP address for eth0: <ip.address>
It's not uname, free, top, df, uptime, etc... Also doesn't appear to be anything in /proc that I've found. Anyone know what it is? I want to grab its output as part of a script. I could use other commands I suppose, but this system info output is neat and concise.

Thanks

SlugSlug
October 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
I've been trying to figure this out... What command does the system use to display this at login:

It's not uname, free, top, df, uptime, etc... Also doesn't appear to be anything in /proc that I've found. Anyone know what it is? I want to grab its output as part of a script. I could use other commands I suppose, but this system info output is neat and concise.

Thanks

whats the output of

cat /etc/motd

Karl1982
October 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM
I actually just found that a few minutes ago. /etc/motd is a link to /var/run/motd which is a compilation of the output from scripts in /etc/update-motd.d. However, it seems it only updates at login, which won't do what I need.

There's supposed to be a utility called "update-motd" that you can use to trigger an update on /etc/motd... I installed it via apt, but it seems I still don't have it. Any idea what I need to do there? I need the info to be current with no users logged in or it's useless.

SlugSlug
October 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM
/etc/update-motd.d see if you can rummage something from there <<

Karl1982
October 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, it's definitely the guts of what I'm looking for, but it would be so much simpler if I knew how to just trigger an update of /etc/motd. I tried sh /etc/update-motd.d/* but that isn't working. I thought it would since apparently they're just a collection of #!/bin/sh scripts that run in sequence at login...

There must be some simple, no-nonsense way of manually triggering an update to /etc/motd, I just don't know what it is.

Karl1982
October 1st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Think I've got it:

run-parts --lsbsysinit /etc/update-motd.d > /etc/motd

... updates /etc/motd with current info. But I may actually just take that command rather than /etc/motd.

CharlesA
October 1st, 2010, 09:58 PM
That looks like landscape-sysinfo.

landscape-sysinfo

System information as of Fri Oct 1 13:58:58 PDT 2010

System load: 0.0 Processes: 108
Usage of /: 30.1% of 281.49GB Users logged in: 0
Memory usage: 24% IP address for eth0: 192.168.1.2
Swap usage: 0%

ricerider1
October 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM
When I ssh from another comp I show 0 users, but it still uses the first login time where the landscape info shows 1 user and the first login time. I don't know if that would suit you or not. I am not sure what info you are looking for, but I have also installed webmin 1.520 and you can view all running processes with it as well as have a secure login. I haven't much experience so far, but it seems to be a very nice gui with plenty of tools to make things easier