PDA

View Full Version : The history of the README file?

skeebo
October 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM
I was doing a school project, and was looking for any background or history of the README file. How it came about, etc.

I've already read the wikipedia page and was wondering if anyone here knew of any good links for me?

Lucradia
October 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Don't google history of README, just a warning. Since even google fails to give actual results.

skeebo
October 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=history+of+readme

Lol, I know. I definitely googled before posting this....there is no results at all. It seems I've stumbled onto something google can't answer?!? The second page of google results shows this thread I JUST POSTED....that's funny.

EDIT: Actually, it's on the first page now...

saulgoode
October 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
My earliest recollection of seeing "README" files is from CP/M in the early-80s (they were typically named "README.1ST"). I don't recall Unix, VAX VMS, or other earlier systems using files named "README" but it is certainly possible.

NMFTM
October 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
The only problem with README files is that despite it yelling at you to read it, they're so common that nobody actually reads them anymore. They shold start calling them "read this before using the app". But eventually everyone would get used to that, so they'd have to come up with another name ad infinitum.