PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

Raiyan
October 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Linux really needs a good download manager like Windows. Ubuntu has UGET manager and Torrent but it need an open source download manager as good as Internet Download Manager.

CharlesA
October 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
Strange, the only "download manager" I ever use is the one built into firefox and transmission...

Lucradia
October 1st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Linux really needs a good download manager like Windows. Ubuntu has UGET manager and Torrent but it need an open source download manager as good as Internet Download Manager.

So basically, you want something like FlashGet, and the like. Good thing we don't.

*cough*standalone download managers are basically malware nowadays*cough*

Firefox has a download manager, so does Opera.

Linux doesn't need a download manager, it's a kernel.

forrestcupp
October 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
I haven't had a need for a download manager in years. Can the one in Firefox pick a download back up from where it left off if you lose connection? If not, I can see how a good download manager would be useful to the poor souls that still have dial-up.

CharlesA
October 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
I haven't had a need for a download manager in years. Can the one in Firefox pick a download back up from where it left off if you lose connection? If not, I can see how a good download manager would be useful to the poor souls that still have dial-up.

Yep it can. "Download managers" (in this sense at least) are not really needed any more.

NightwishFan
October 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
I use axel from the command line.

axel address of file

There is also a cool program called gwget.

BrokenKingpin
October 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
What the hell is a download manager? I just download things from a browser, Transmission, and Apt... what would a download manager do for me?

Zlatan
October 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM

Downloader for X in Ubuntu software center?
Why Firefox downloader or Transmission are wrong for you?

cra1g321
October 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
I use JDownloader for downloading form any file-hosting sites or if im downloading multiple links

its a java program not a add-on

limestone
October 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM
Strange, the only "download manager" I ever use is the one built into firefox and transmission...

I 2nd that. Also there is wget.

KdotJ
October 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM

lol +1

Lucradia
October 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Also there is wget.

Anything terminal is considered not user-friendly though.

lol +9001

Fixed.

wkhasintha
October 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM
meh Use wget .. It is far more reliable than any GUI DM for me..

donkyhotay
October 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
What the hell is a download manager? I just download things from a browser, Transmission, and Apt... what would a download manager do for me?

Answer was already posted above.

So basically, you want something like FlashGet, and the like. Good thing we don't.

*cough*standalone download managers are basically malware nowadays*cough*

//edit: OP, you need better thread titles BTW.

Ric_NYC
October 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201/

crl0901
October 1st, 2010, 04:18 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201/

Seconded.

Hexster71FD
October 1st, 2010, 04:37 PM

First off, I've been using Windows for years and I've never heard of this "Internet Download Manager" you're talking about. Hopefully you're not talking about something that is a part of Internet Explorer ](*,)

Plus there's really no reason to use anything besides Firefox for http downloads anyways. It lets you navigate to the webpage and select the download then it even knows if you closed Firefox and it continues to download it where it left off. Plus I don't think I've ever had a bad hash from a FF download and I've been checking everything that has a posted hash for a while now.

I don't think Ubuntu needs a download manager. It would be a waste of time IMO.

also +1 to everyone who said this thread title sucks :evil:

98cwitr
October 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
+1 for wget (if you must use terminal)

RiceMonster
October 1st, 2010, 05:00 PM

Clever, I bet nobody on here knows that Linux is a kernel.

forrestcupp
October 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM

Nothing. But back in the days of dial-up before Firefox had the ability, download managers came in handy. If you lost your internet connection, and you were just downloading from your browser, you would have to start over from the beginning. Download managers allowed you to pause your downloads and pick it back up from where you left off if you lost connection. They also downloaded in multiple threads, which supposedly sped up the download, which was very valuable in dial-up.

But as it has been stated, all of this is built into the browser now, so they aren't really needed like they were in the bad old days.

Spice Weasel
October 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
wget URL isn't user friendly? Psssh.

NightwishFan
October 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Clever, I bet nobody on here knows that Linux is a kernel.

What the heck is a kernel!!?

CharlesA
October 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM

Popcorn?

Also +1 to wget. screen + wget = win.

NightwishFan
October 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Wget seems to work on some links neither Firefox nor axel understand as well.

CraigPaleo
October 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM

The Colonel is the one who founded KFC. *drool* I want my spork!!

forrestcupp
October 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM
wget URL isn't user friendly? Psssh.

No. Having to know the URL and either type it or copy and paste it into a different console window versus just clicking on a link? I'll take just clicking on a link.

The only viable reason to use wget is if you're copying commands from a forum or tutorial.

donkyhotay
October 1st, 2010, 10:55 PM
No. Having to know the URL and either type it or copy and paste it into a different console window versus just clicking on a link? I'll take just clicking on a link.

The only viable reason to use wget is if you're copying commands from a forum or tutorial.

Agreed, I've used wget but mostly when trying to install proprietary drivers back before ubuntu got the bugs worked out with the proprietary driver system they have now. That was a couple years or so ago. Nowadays if I want to click on something I just use the hyperlink in my browser. I agree that the CLI is easier for some tasks (like batch processing, compiling & debugging) but the GUI is much better when it comes to browsing the web and downloading files. I'm lazy, I use the fastest and easiest tool for what I want to do.