PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 10.10 Help

pra.agar
October 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hi,

I was using 10.04 version of wubi in my windows 7 system, But recently my system gave a no wubildr found error and one of the forum member suggested that using wubi for 1 year is more than enough and the error is prone to occur. Shared the link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9906970#post9906970

So planning to install a fresh copy of ubuntu 10.10 in my system.

The problems i have is

1) i downloaded " ubuntu-10.10-rc-desktop-i386.iso.torrent 30-Sep-2010 10:26 28K Desktop CD for PC (Intel x86) computers (BitTorrent download)" from http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/ is it the correct version as i have a Intel processor of 64bits with 4GB ram and 320GB hdd and windows 7 as OS. Toshiba L505-S5998

2) If thats the correct download for my sys, I have a pre installed version of Windows 7 that has 1 drive C:\ and a ghost drive thats most probably my recovery drive. I dont wanna format them but want to have a partition from the c:\ drive to install my new ubuntu 10.10. How can i achieve it???

3) As i was having a ubuntu 10.04 prev through wubi installer that resides in my windows c:\ directory. I don't want to either loss the data in it. Is there any way i can fix the No wubildr issue?? if no can i access the ubuntu 10.04 drive / data after installing the new ubuntu 10.10?

4) and the last one. as i said i have a Toshiba L505-S5998 model and the function key were not working for my last ubuntu 10.04. Can i fix this issue in the new one.

Thats all i got. I know i have lotz of query but i had to ask because i just love working in ubuntu.

Thanks
Prateek Agarwal

sanderd17
October 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hi,

I was using 10.04 version of wubi in my windows 7 system, But recently my system gave a no wubildr found error and one of the forum member suggested that using wubi for 1 year is more than enough and the error is prone to occur. Shared the link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9906970#post9906970

So planning to install a fresh copy of ubuntu 10.10 in my system.

The problems i have is

1) i downloaded " ubuntu-10.10-rc-desktop-i386.iso.torrent 30-Sep-2010 10:26 28K Desktop CD for PC (Intel x86) computers (BitTorrent download)" from http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/ is it the correct version as i have a Intel processor of 64bits with 4GB ram and 320GB hdd and windows 7 as OS. Toshiba L505-S5998

That torrent will work. You have a 64 bit processor, so the 64 bit version will work a little faster but a normal user doesn't notice the difference. Btw, flash works better on 32 bit.

2) If thats the correct download for my sys, I have a pre installed version of Windows 7 that has 1 drive C:\ and a ghost drive thats most probably my recovery drive. I dont wanna format them but want to have a partition from the c:\ drive to install my new ubuntu 10.10. How can i achieve it???

You won't have to fomat it, just put in the disk, wait a while (CD's are seriously slower than HDD's) and the default installation option in Ubuntu is to install ubuntu next to any already present OS. So if you follow the guide and don't decide to change the partition table yourself, everything should be ok.

Please be sure the computer doesn't run out of battery power during the install, that can corrupt the comlete system and force you to reinstall everything.

3) As i was having a ubuntu 10.04 prev through wubi installer that resides in my windows c:\ directory. I don't want to either loss the data in it. Is there any way i can fix the No wubildr issue?? if no can i access the ubuntu 10.04 drive / data after installing the new ubuntu 10.10?

I can't answer on how to recover wubi or get your data back. I just know it's not a standard file system.

4) and the last one. as i said i have a Toshiba L505-S5998 model and the function key were not working for my last ubuntu 10.04. Can i fix this issue in the new one.

Thats all i got. I know i have lotz of query but i had to ask because i just love working in ubuntu.

Thanks
Prateek Agarwal

Well, you'll just have to try. 10.10 is one step ahead of 10.04 so maybe your multimedia buttons are recognized already.

pra.agar
October 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks sanderd17 for your reply.:)

That torrent will work. You have a 64 bit processor, so the 64 bit version will work a little faster but a normal user doesn't notice the difference. Btw, flash works better on 32 bit.

Can you help me get the link for Ubuntu 10.10 64 Bit - Bittorrent Download.
As i can only see 64bit for AMD processor[for 64-bit PC (AMD64)].
But mine is a Intel 64bits processor.
And can you help me understand what is flash with respect to 32 bit.

You won't have to fomat it, just put in the disk, wait a while (CD's are seriously slower than HDD's) and the default installation option in Ubuntu is to install ubuntu next to any already present OS. So if you follow the guide and don't decide to change the partition table yourself, everything should be ok.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.10 and burned the iso file in cd and tried installing it. But that gave me a option to Format the Drive entirely and Manually. So which one should i opt for. and can you help me how to go further if i select manual installation. Will that effect my existing OS(Windows 7).

Please be sure the computer doesn't run out of battery power during the install, that can corrupt the comlete system and force you to reinstall everything.

Thanks for the note buddy. I will keep this in mind while doing the installation.

I can't answer on how to recover wubi or get your data back. I just know it's not a standard file system.

Well, you'll just have to try. 10.10 is one step ahead of 10.04 so maybe your multimedia buttons are recognized already.

can any of the forum admins suggest to how to get my previous data back, as the data are very important to me.

about the function key. will try my luck.

I had one more question. Can i see my windows drive like i could see in Ubuntu 10.04 after installing Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks
Prateek Agarwal

sendblink23
October 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks sanderd17 for your reply.:)

Can you help me get the link for Ubuntu 10.10 64 Bit - Bittorrent Download. And can you help me understand what is flash with respect to 32 bit.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.10 and burned the iso file in cd and tried installing it. But that gave me a option to Format the Drive entirely and Manually. So which one should i opt for. and can you help me how to go further if i select manual installation. Will that effect my existing OS(Windows 7).

Thanks for the note buddy. I will keep this in mind while doing the installation.

can any of the forum admins suggest to how to get my previous data back, as the data are very important to me.

about the function key. will try my luck.

I had one more question. Can i see my windows drive like i could see in Ubuntu 10.04 after installing Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks
Prateek Agarwal

at all honestly STOP NOW

Don't install 10.10 RC... the Full Release stable version is coming out on October 10th in other words you are just 9 days away from it.... so simply wait these few days, then download the stable final 10.10 version & do the fresh install - Fresh install is better than RC *Upgrade path

pra.agar
October 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
at all honestly STOP NOW

Don't install 10.10 RC... the Full Release stable version is coming out on October 10th in other words you are just 9 days away from it.... so simply wait these few days, then download the stable final 10.10 version & do the fresh install - Fresh install is better than RC *Upgrade path

Thanks sendblink23, i think i can wait for 9 days to get the stable version. :)

sanderd17
October 1st, 2010, 11:02 AM
Ubuntu can read ntfs (the windows file system) and there are some tricks to make windows read ext4, the standard ubuntu file system, but i did never tried them. I don't have windows anymore.

For 64 bit, it's just called AMD64 because amd was the first popular 64 bit processor, AMD64 works on intel (I use AMD64 on an intel processor).

@senblink23: the first beta was already really stable, unlike previous ubuntu beta's. So I think it's not so bad to install the RC. It would be difficult to live without ubuntu for 11 days (if you count the normal server downtime on the relaese date). If you can live w/o ubuntu for that perdiod, wait for the final release.

For your data problem, I have seen some forum tips about mounting the root.disk file, so it should be possible. If you installed Ubuntu, just post a new message and I'll try to help you.

pra.agar
October 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Ubuntu can read ntfs (the windows file system) and there are some tricks to make windows read ext4, the standard ubuntu file system, but i did never tried them. I don't have windows anymore.

For 64 bit, it's just called AMD64 because amd was the first popular 64 bit processor, AMD64 works on intel (I use AMD64 on an intel processor).

So if i download Desktop CD for 64-bit PC (AMD64) computers (BitTorrent (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitTorrent) download) ("ubuntu-10.10-rc-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent (http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/ubuntu-10.10-rc-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent)") that would also work for my Intel 64Bits processor.

@senblink23: the first beta was already really stable, unlike previous ubuntu beta's. So I think it's not so bad to install the RC. It would be difficult to live without ubuntu for 11 days (if you count the normal server downtime on the relaese date). If you can live w/o ubuntu for that perdiod, wait for the final release.

I agree with @sanderd17 that its difficult to live without ubuntu. But to have a smooth run on Ubuntu i can wait for few days i feel. As i can't take another chance to corrupt my Ubuntu.

For your data problem, I have seen some forum tips about mounting the root.disk file, so it should be possible. If you installed Ubuntu, just post a new message and I'll try to help you.

@ sanderd17 : you are a real life savior. As without my data i would just have to do lots of stuff from scratch. Can you share the forum links so as i can go through them.

Thanks @ sanderd17 & @ senblink23.

Thanks
Prateek Agarwal

Mark Phelps
October 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
When you DO go to install Ubuntu, make sure you do the following:
1) Boot into Win7, use the Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need this later if the boot loader gets damaged from the dual-boot setup.
2) Do NOT allow the Ubuntu installer to resize your partitions. Doing so runs the risk of corrupting the Win7 OS partition and rendering it unbootable. Instead, use the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win7 OS partition to make room for Ubuntu. Leave the new space as unallocated -- do NOT format it.
3) Install Ubuntu from the CD and choose the Largest Free Space option, letting it format that space as needed.

pra.agar
October 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM
When you DO go to install Ubuntu, make sure you do the following:
1) Boot into Win7, use the Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You will need this later if the boot loader gets damaged from the dual-boot setup.
2) Do NOT allow the Ubuntu installer to resize your partitions. Doing so runs the risk of corrupting the Win7 OS partition and rendering it unbootable. Instead, use the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win7 OS partition to make room for Ubuntu. Leave the new space as unallocated -- do NOT format it.
3) Install Ubuntu from the CD and choose the Largest Free Space option, letting it format that space as needed.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the Help buddy. I just looked at the win7 disk management and that seems to solve my partition problem. So all i need is to shrink my window c:\ partition and leave it unallocated?

But when i boot through the Ubuntu Installation CD i get two options to select. Format entire and the other manually.

1) Which one should i go for. And how to go on further. Like the swap thing and the boot loader thing.

Some one said me that we need to specify the swap and boot loader option.

So what all things i need to take care of during installing ubuntu.

And how much minimum space is required for the Ubuntu 10.10 installtion?

If you have any link or guide that can help me with respect to installing Ubuntu with pictorial representation would be of get help. Because i dont wanna mess up this time. As all my stuffs are in this PC.

bcbc
October 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
If you want to save the data from your wubi install you need to keep the root.disk safe. If you Uninstall the wubi Ubuntu it will delete this file and everything will be gone.

So my advice is to back this up outside of the x:\ubuntu directory (this folder is deleted when you uninstall/reinstall wubi).

You can loop mount the root.disk from a live CD or another Ubuntu install. First mount the ntfs partition that contains the file, then loop mount the root.disk.

e.g. assuming root.disk is on /dev/sda2

sudo mkdir /media/win
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/win
sudo mount -o loop /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /mnt

Then you can access the install through the /mnt folder e.g. home is on /mnt/home

If you just want to get wubi going in the meantime, you could try reinstalling wubi (after backing up that root.disk) and then copying over the new root.disk with the backup. That will likely get it booting again if it's just a missing wubildr issue.

You could then just migrate (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354) the wubi to a partition at a later date without having to do a complete new install.

pra.agar
October 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I have few problems which again is delaying my Ubuntu installation. My Windows has the entire partition and when i try to unpartition using the windows diskmanagement i find some problem. So looking to find some solutions.

Any way i had a question. Recently i just inserted the Ubuntu 10.10 RC CD in my running windows and it gave me an option of Installing it using the windows partition.

1) Is it OK if i install it using windows partition.

2) What will be the diff if i have a separate partition for Ubuntu v/s install in same partition of windows?

3) Wont it be the same as i did using wubi for Ubuntu 10.04.?

pra.agar
October 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM
hello,

Is someone there?

Thanks
Prateek Agarwal

bcbc
October 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I have few problems which again is delaying my Ubuntu installation. My Windows has the entire partition and when i try to unpartition using the windows diskmanagement i find some problem. So looking to find some solutions.

Any way i had a question. Recently i just inserted the Ubuntu 10.10 RC CD in my running windows and it gave me an option of Installing it using the windows partition.

1) Is it OK if i install it using windows partition.

2) What will be the diff if i have a separate partition for Ubuntu v/s install in same partition of windows?

3) Wont it be the same as i did using wubi for Ubuntu 10.04.?

1. No
2. Wubi installs to a virtual disk - a file under your windows filesystem. A normal install requires a different filesystem so will format your windows filesystem.
3. No.

bcbc
October 4th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Here's an article on resizing a partition using windows vista/7. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

If it says you have no available space, you can try this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/
It refers to another doc that shows how to use gparted to do the partitioning. I don't know if this works, or more to the point, always works. So be cautious and create backup DVDs of your system before attempting.

sanderd17
October 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
1. No

The windows standard (ntfs) is inferior to ext4, the current Linux standard. In the ext4 filesystem (and the previous ext3 and ext2), no defragmenting is needed. Therefore there are no defragmentation tools for Linux. Second, under ext4 all files store information about who is the owner and who can read/write/exectue the files. If you use ntfs, Ubuntu gets less safer.

2. Wubi installs to a virtual disk - a file under your windows filesystem. A normal install requires a different filesystem so will format your windows filesystem.
3. No.

Sorry for the late reply, I was offline for a few days.

bcbc
October 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM
The windows standard (ntfs) is inferior to ext4, the current Linux standard. In the ext4 filesystem (and the previous ext3 and ext2), no defragmenting is needed. Therefore there are no defragmentation tools for Linux. Second, under ext4 all files store information about who is the owner and who can read/write/exectue the files. If you use ntfs, Ubuntu gets less safer.

Sorry for the late reply, I was offline for a few days.

OK I interpreted the question to be what would happen if OP did a direct install to the windows partition. Not what would happen if OP installs 10.10 using wubi. I don't think the concerns about ntfs vs ext4 matter so much. Wubi is pretty unstable at the moment due to many recent changes to grub2/lupin. These instabilities generally only show when you update grub-pc (or run an upgrade to a new release).

Note to OP: if you install 10.10 using wubi it will delete that broken 10.04 install you have and all the data will be gone. If you are concerned about losing your data from the 10.04 wubi install you should backup the \ubuntu\disks\root.disk file outside of the \ubuntu folder. Then you can recover the data any time.

pra.agar
October 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

I just made a partition out of my windows 7 OS of 50GB.

1) Is that space ok?

2) While trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 RC in my new partition i encountered a error "no root file system is defined". How do i fix it?

3) What is swap? What is it useful for? Should i also specify swap while installing Ubuntu 10.10 as i have windows? how much space do i have to allocate to swap? what all procedure's do i need to follow more while installation other than swap.

4) I have once encountered a problem while using Fedora. I installed first Windows XP and than Fedora in my old sys and one day the boot loader didn't work because of it i couldnt login into either of the OS. Can this problem occur in my new lappy also after installing Ubuntu 10.10 in my pre-installed Windows 7 PC ?

Thanks
Prateek

sanderd17
October 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

I just made a partition out of my windows 7 OS of 50GB.

1) Is that space ok?

50GB is certainly enough to install linux, I can't predict how many you will use on your files. That depends if ubuntu or windows will be your main OS in the future. You can always adapt the size of your partitions. But with every adaption, you need to do a full backup because you can mess up your complete system.

2) While trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 RC in my new partition i encountered a error "no root file system is defined". How do i fix it?

Are you doing manual repartition? Or did you select an option like "take the biggest empty space"?
If you select the second option, there is something wrong and you'll have to do a manual repartition.

If there isn't such an option, are you sure you left the space unallocated when you did the repartition in windows. If you didn't, it's not that bad, you can do it in linux to and you won't risk to lose files since you'll only adapt an empty partition.

3) What is swap? What is it useful for? Should i also specify swap while installing Ubuntu 10.10 as i have windows? how much space do i have to allocate to swap? what all procedure's do i need to follow more while installation other than swap.

Swap is used when you don't have enough RAM or to hibernate or suspend (one of the two, always mix those terms). Then it writes info from RAM to your swap. Normally 1 to 2 times the amount of RAM you have is advisable.

If you have less swap than RAM, you can have problems suspening/hibernating.

4) I have once encountered a problem while using Fedora. I installed first Windows XP and than Fedora in my old sys and one day the boot loader didn't work because of it i couldnt login into either of the OS. Can this problem occur in my new lappy also after installing Ubuntu 10.10 in my pre-installed Windows 7 PC ?

Thanks
Prateek

My boot loader did never just stopped working, if my boot loader stopped, it was because of me doing a wrong action. This can happen in ubuntu, but only if you do critical things which are wrong. It won't happen without a reason.

Like someone said (can't remember who)
"Linux gives you so much rope, you can hang yourself"

bcbc
October 7th, 2010, 10:01 PM
when you select manual partitioning, you have to indicate that the partition will be used for "/" (there's a drop down box). If you don't do that it complains 'no root file system defined'.

pra.agar
October 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ya i have the drop down below. But i have 4 options. How do i know which one to go for? Is there any way to find out. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bits Version.

Thanks
Prateek

bcbc
October 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ya i have the drop down below. But i have 4 options. How do i know which one to go for? Is there any way to find out. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bits Version.

Thanks
Prateek

If you are still referring to the manual partitioning part of the ubuntu install, you'd select: use as "ext4" and mount point "/".

Please supply more details to make sure we're talking about the same thing. e.g. a screenshot or list the contents of the drop down.

pra.agar
October 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
If you are still referring to the manual partitioning part of the ubuntu install, you'd select: use as "ext4" and mount point "/".

Please supply more details to make sure we're talking about the same thing. e.g. a screenshot or list the contents of the drop down.

Hi bcbc,

In Allocate Drive Space option's.

I Have 3 options.

Install alongside other Operating system.
Erase and use the entire disk.
Specify Partition manually (Advanced).

I am opting for the 3rd option that is "Specify Partition manually (Advanced). "

Later i land to the partition Selection page. Where i have options as

/dev/sda | Format | Size | Used

/dev/sda1 | ntfs | 1572MB | 524MB
/dev/sda2 | ntfs | 255128MB | 104279MB
free space| | 53645MB |
/dev/sda3 | ntfs | 9724MB | 9107MB

Boot Loader
Device for boot loader installation

and the dropdown box has options as follows

/dev/sda ATA TOSHIBA MK (320.1GB)
/dev/sda1 Windows 7 (Loader)
/dev/sda2 Windows 7 (Loader)
/dev/sda3 Windows Vista (Loader)

Thats all Buddy.

So i guess my first selection of "Specify Partition manually (Advanced)" is correct???

1) Which among the Boot Loader do i select?
2) How to specify swap space and as my RAM size is 4GB how much should it be?

bcbc
October 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hi bcbc,

In Allocate Drive Space option's.

I Have 3 options.

Install alongside other Operating system.
Erase and use the entire disk.
Specify Partition manually (Advanced).

I am opting for the 3rd option that is "Specify Partition manually (Advanced). "

Later i land to the partition Selection page. Where i have options as

/dev/sda | Format | Size | Used

/dev/sda1 | ntfs | 1572MB | 524MB
/dev/sda2 | ntfs | 255128MB | 104279MB
free space| | 53645MB |
/dev/sda3 | ntfs | 9724MB | 9107MB

Boot Loader
Device for boot loader installation

and the dropdown box has options as follows

/dev/sda ATA TOSHIBA MK (320.1GB)
/dev/sda1 Windows 7 (Loader)
/dev/sda2 Windows 7 (Loader)
/dev/sda3 Windows Vista (Loader)

Thats all Buddy.

So i guess my first selection of "Specify Partition manually (Advanced)" is correct???

1) Which among the Boot Loader do i select?
2) How to specify swap space and as my RAM size is 4GB how much should it be?

Select the free space, and select to install the boot loader to /dev/sda only.

EDIT:
If you want a swap partition (e.g. if you need to hibernate), you should create an extended partition in that free space, and inside the extended create two logical partitions, one for ubuntu and the other for swap. You can do that by running gparted after booting in live CD mode (try without installing).

pra.agar
October 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Select the free space, and select to install the boot loader to /dev/sda only.

EDIT:
If you want a swap partition (e.g. if you need to hibernate), you should create an extended partition in that free space, and inside the extended create two logical partitions, one for ubuntu and the other for swap. You can do that by running gparted after booting in live CD mode (try without installing).

Hi,

By default the Boot loader is in /dev/sda. Even though i get the error.

bcbc
October 8th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hi,

By default the Boot loader is in /dev/sda. Even though i get the error.

When you select that free space, you should there select ext4 and set the mount point to "/". The error isn't related to the bootloader.

allxk
October 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Installing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit This is a bug!
Please see attached image:
The disk partitioned with gparted.
Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Installation window will not show any partitions, and edit partition option.
Same thing with Ubuntu 10.10 x32.
Will somebody report it to developers?

kurtronix
October 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
I get the same error when doing a clean/fresh install from scratch with 10.10 x32. Allocate drive space screen with no options, clicking install gives the same error. I'm in a HP rp5700.

Installing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit This is a bug!
Please see attached image:
The disk partitioned with gparted.
Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Installation window will not show any partitions, and edit partition option.
Same thing with Ubuntu 10.10 x32.
Will somebody report it to developers?