PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade help

johndavid1985
October 1st, 2010, 04:43 AM
I upgraded for the new ubuntu10.10 but when i restarted it asked for a user name and password, i entered it and then it just came up with another command line what do i need to type in now, please help as i dont want to have to re-install

<snip>

please help someone

cariboo
October 1st, 2010, 04:54 AM
What type of graphics card do you have. What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?

Rusty au Lait
October 1st, 2010, 05:05 AM
You must say more.
What did you upgrade from? Did you use a GUI before and now it's gone? Maybe <ctrl><Alt><F7> will get you somewhere.
Are you really logged? I mean do you get linux responses when you type something? Try
pwd
whoami

Good luck.

johndavid1985
October 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
I upgraded to 10.10 and it asked for my username and password. After I put it in, it put up a command line it won't take me to my home page or my desktop. Please help

mörgæs
October 2nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1586313

johndavid1985
October 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM
i upgraded to ubuntu 10.10 and now it boots to a screen that asks for my user name and password, once entered it goes to another command line. i restarted my computer and now it starts up asking me to go in to safe mode or recovery mode and goes to a command line, help please how do i make my computer work, or atleast go back to its pre updates state. i have a compaq presario v6000 and i am very very new to linux, loving it so far but this is quite annoying.

please help guys use your greatnesss

cheers