PDA

View Full Version : Fire in O誰eill Cylinders/space shuttle or Pure oxygen Environments

e24ohm
October 1st, 2010, 02:50 AM
I am reading about O誰eill cylinders, and I have an odd question, which deals with space stations/shuttles and/or pure oxygen environments.

Since shuttles/space stations are pure oxygen sealed environments, would an electric spark or small fire turn the environment into a fireball?

I am not a smoker, but I can remember a time when individuals were able to smoke in hospitals; however, now you see "no smoking" signs due to pure oxygen environments, so wouldn稚 the same be for space shuttles/space stations?

I seem to remember a fire breaking out on the Mir space station in 1998, but I could be wrong. In addition, I am unsure if it was inside or caused in a piece of equipment that was outside.

Quackers
October 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
I don't think NASA use pure oxygen environments any more. Three pilots were killed in Apollo 1 (I think it was) due to an electrical short which created a fierce fire, due to the 100% oxygen environment.

Paqman
October 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Since shuttles/space stations are pure oxygen sealed environments, would an electric spark or small fire turn the environment into a fireball?

Yes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_1).

Which is why subsequent spacecraft no longer use a pure oxygen atmosphere.

Quackers
October 1st, 2010, 03:21 AM
Lol, just like buses! Nothing for half an hour then 2 come along :-)

e24ohm
October 1st, 2010, 04:49 AM
Lol, just like buses! Nothing for half an hour then 2 come along :-)

or the underground...thanks mate...

So the environments are not 100% oxygen, but a mixture like a normal environment?

cheers!!!

trekrem
October 1st, 2010, 04:51 AM
There is a common misconception that oxygen is flammable, IT IS NOT FLAMMABLE! Oxygen itself will not even burn, it does however, assist in the combustion of other materials (that's what the word combustion actually means, the reaction of an oxidizer with another substance).

(I am a Firefighter)

Paqman
October 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM
So the environments are not 100% oxygen, but a mixture like a normal environment?

Nope, pure oxygen is just too dangerous. The ISS's atmosphere is designed to be as close as possible to Earth's IIRC.

mips
October 1st, 2010, 08:08 AM

Not since that accident nasa had that killed 3 astronauts on the launchpad.

This could have been prevented if they knew about a similar prior incident the soviets had but back in those days everything was hush hush & top secret.

Khakilang
October 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Is that what we breath in, Oxygen?

grahammechanical
October 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM
As a safety officer I was taught about the fire triangle - a source of ignition - fuel - Oxygen. Where the three are present then fire is possible. Remove one and the fire goes out. Heat is a source of ignition by the way.

We do not breathe in oxygen. We breathe in air which contains oxygen (about 20%), nitrogen, water vapour and other things. Increase the oxygen content of the air and fire will start more quickly and rage more fiercely. Reduce the oxygen content of the air and normal activity would be a struggle as the cells of our bodies need oxygen. Breathing pure oxygen for too long a period might damage the lungs.

Regards.

sdowney717
October 1st, 2010, 01:08 PM
If it is all you have, plain old dirt will help smother and put out a fire

e24ohm
October 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM
If it is all you have, plain old dirt will help smother and put out a fire
*smiles* there should be some dirt in an O誰eill Cylinder.

Dustin2128
October 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
*smiles* there should be some dirt in an O誰eill Cylinder.
Yeah, the concept as I understand it is kind of like a mini dyson shell; a full biosphere rotating to simulate 1G gravity.

Tristam Green
October 1st, 2010, 08:04 PM

78% nitrogen/21% oxygen/1% trace minerals+gases is what we breathe at sea level.

Quackers
October 1st, 2010, 10:29 PM

Unless you're a plant :-)

lisati
October 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM
The triangle I was taught had heat, fuel and oxygen. Take away one of them, and the fire tends to go out. (/me thinks: was it really 37 years or so ago that I saw that film (not videotape) in school?)

Swagman
October 1st, 2010, 11:01 PM
We must've seen the same film then.

btw.. I vividly remember laying on my back in a hyperbaric chamber pumped full of pure oxygen for four hour stints after sustaining a serious industrial accident.

Sub101
October 1st, 2010, 11:14 PM

The actual impulse to breath is to get rid of CO2.

lisati
October 1st, 2010, 11:19 PM
Quite possibly.

btw.. I vividly remember laying on my back in a hyperbaric chamber pumped full of pure oxygen for four hour stints after sustaining a serious industrial accident.
Ouch. I hope that you've recovered sufficiently that any injuries you sustained don't come back and make a nuisance of themselves.

Dustin2128
October 1st, 2010, 11:40 PM

ouch..

pure oxygen is actually good for humans to a point, but its a fine line between that and O2 poisoning. Kinda reminds me of the europan amphibians from 2061, they had to rush underwater after the water-fusion ship flew overhead because the oxygen byproduct was so deadly.

trekrem
October 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
The actual impulse to breath is to get rid of CO2.

Someone in the medical field eh? ;)