PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] a little help with installing ubuntu server

revolverXD
September 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
hi guys.
im running a eee pc 1005ha with ubuntu 10.04 and i have a problem with installing ubuntu server edition on the pc, since the bios just wont let me to boot from usb.
is there a way to install ubuntu server from synaptics? like you install kubuntu?

sikander3786
September 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Why do you want to install Ubuntu Server on a computer already running Ubuntu Desktop?

You can say that Ubuntu Server is Ubuntu Desktop without gui. You can do all the stuff right from the Desktop itself.

What do you want to accomplish?

Regarding your question, can't you boot from the CD either?

revolverXD
September 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
nope i cant use my cd, since the notebook dont come with one.
and the reason i want ubuntu server edition is since i want to run couple of web services without having any interaction with my main ubuntu partition.

another wa that could help me is if anyone knows how to get eee pc 1005ha to boot from usb

davidmohammed
September 30th, 2010, 10:19 PM
? do you want to dual boot ubuntu server with ubuntu desktop on a netbook? Very strange.

You can install any ubuntu server software from synaptic - what service - and why do you specifically need to use ubuntu server from a netbook?

revolverXD
October 1st, 2010, 12:20 AM
well basiclly i want to make
a bittorent machine, i know it a little bit extreme since i can use a normal bittorent clinet.
but still, the particular pc sits most of the time offline since i use it for study purpose only and i feel that its kinda wasted.

well part of it is for the fun of building something since i have a free day from study and i want to do something with myself besides sitting with my friends smoking nargila