PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video problem from fresh install

vaaarr
September 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Hey all. This one has me stumped. With my new laptop (Lenovo X100e) I opted for a whole-disk reformatting and installation of 10.04. I put together a pendrive, following the usual instructions (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download), in Windows 7 (which was pre-installed on the laptop) before reformatting it.

When booting from this pendrive:

--The purple "Ubuntu (logo) . . . . ." screen that displays during startup takes somewhat longer than expected (e.g. the dots stay red for quite a while, seeming to indicate stopped activity)
--The startup music (choir? with drums) plays, but restarts itself four times, every two seconds or so, and then everything freezes

When booting from the OS that it seemed to have installed successfully:
--The light purple screen (login background) with shining lights in the background comes up
--The (shorter) login screen bongo riff plays, but again four times, and then everything freezes, sometimes with the login window with usernames and whatnot appearing, sometimes not

The specs of the laptop in question are here (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=AD7535A40F8845ABAEAC52D528B8C921) (the "Elite" variety on the right); it is quite literally out of the box, so I have no special bells and whistles to mention that might be causing the problem. There were no obvious problems with Bios configurations and boot order, and so on, and the same thing happened again when I tried installing from a rewritten pendrive, so it doesn't seem to be arising from a faulty installer download. I also doubt that it's the pendrive, since I used the same one last month to install ubuntu-netbook on a friend's laptop, and that went fine.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I realize that the title says "video not working," but it took me a bit to realize that it's likely not a video problem, and by then, I had posted and forgotten to change the title. Sorry!

EDIT 2: When attempting to log in from a terminal called during boot, I can't, but there's plenty of activity before that. It appears that the freeze only happens once the login prompt comes up.