PDA

View Full Version : [other] i want to network my house

arnavk007
September 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM
so as you read i want to network my house with a file and print server and here i list the various systems i have :--

system A : will be used as the server . it's a laptop with a centrino duo clocked at 1.67 ghz 1 gig ram 80 gig hdd i want to share an external/usb hdd along with my hp laserjet using it. comfortable using linux but the problem is that i have ubuntu installed on a partition it prints using my printer but it doesnt have option of print on both sides(manual).

system B :- its my new desktop which i will recieve by 15th after transferring data to this one i will wipe system a which is my current sys clean and experiment with it. It will use win 7

system C :- another lappie with vista

my ps3

i have a airtel wifi router

so plz help

i will be running my lappie 24/7

loopodoopo
September 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I guess you need Samba for the file and printer sharing.

An introduction to Samba you can find here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/samba-fileserver.html

To stream movies, music and pictures to you ps3, use ps3 media server

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

annoyingrob
September 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I 2nd PS3 media server. Also, because it's a DLNA compliant media server, it will also show up on windows media player (11 and above I believe)

loopodoopo
September 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Do you have problems installing it?

arnavk007
October 1st, 2010, 04:59 AM
no actually i will receive the desktop on 15th October
then i will transfer data and wipe this lappie clean and begin the process of making it a server.
then i will require real time help now i only want to try the process once. i am using win 7 but have ubuntu installed on a partition so would like to test printer sharing. When i connected my printer to ubuntu it prompted me to download hplip drivers. after that my printer was running but only printing black and white . after some tinkering with cups default setting i got it to print colour but could not find the option of both sides printing .
also i think the best option for me would be :-
install ubuntu server on full hdd
make it possible for me to use putty and configure it from my new desktop.
install required software and drivers
connect my printer and external hdd to it.
now i am stuck will it be possible for it to share with 777 permissions both the external and internal hdds along with my printer.
btw for network printing which drivers will be used the ones supplied by hp or those in ubuntu:confused::confused:

arnavk007
October 1st, 2010, 05:04 AM
sorry for another question
the upnp server should be use cli and i should be able to set it up so that it actually streams all data to my ps3
would i have torrent support in cli
like i set up some folder where i dump torrent files ubuntu automatically scans it and downloads the torrents to another pre-specified folder

arnavk007
October 1st, 2010, 05:37 AM
hey what if i install ubuntu server
make it an openssl server only
then use putty to install lxde on it
install all required things
then do apt-get groupremove lxde
my server is ready

arnavk007
October 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
hey the command to install lxde is apt-get install lubuntu-desktop or something else

randomsrvapps
October 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM
I suggest you dont use a laptop Ive done it before didnt take long before the hard disk died and the thing filled up with dust.
this is what i did;
I got a old computer from the rubbish dump, Pentium 3 cpu 450 MHZ and i spent a hundred bucks on two 1tb IDE hdds and setup raid then I installed ubuntu server and it works like a charm Im currently using it for a hp photosmart printer with samba (dual sided printing works) + im using webmin to configure it easy peasy, web server and squid proxy server.
its been running for months now and hasn't missed a beat

you should check webmin out its perfect for what you want http://webmin.com

the_original_billq
October 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM
The throttle on the laptop solution is going to be the USB-attached disk. USB 2.0 max is only 40 MB/s, so if you're trying to stream video to multiple clients, that's not really going to make you very happy.

You'd be much better off using a crappy old PC with cheap IDE drives and a decent RAID controller.

arnavk007
October 2nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
the truth is this that i dont actually watch many hd videos
so it will be used mostly for data transferring , music streaming and most probably saved youtube videos streaming
just wanted to ask if i download ubuntu server 10.10 when its released can ne1 of u just list the required steps so that i can keep myself ready before my pc comes
my tv supports dlna so will ps3mediaserver be able to stream to it directly or will i require my ps3

my current steps which i will follow are:-
download ubuntu server 10.10
make it an open ssh server
install lubuntu-desktop with midori rather than ff for occasional mailcheck and doing things like uploading and downloading which takes time
install hp-lip from hp website (even with nvidia drivers i have seen running the driver from their website is better than drivers provided by ubuntu or fedora)
install samba and cups
try to make it a server (i require help here any guide you can point me to)
install ps3 media server
any other thing to do
btw do i require apache for outside access as i have dyndns enabled and could use ssh over internet to give tasks to my lappie

arnavk007
October 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
installing lubuntu would be better or enlightenment 17
how can i install all the necessary codecs and things for media streaming

arnavk007
October 2nd, 2010, 07:56 PM
just wanted to know if apache is necessary for remote access to files or samba will do

arnavk007
October 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
ya everyone so i will start the server installation tomorrow plz give me last minute tips on how to start the work
i think i should start with 10.04 server and will do a
apt-get do-release upgrade if i am right

CharlesA
October 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Only last minute tip I have is to make sure you have a good backup, if needed.

arnavk007
October 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM
thx charles A
so i am backing up the data at the moment
still ill only give a small 15gig partition to ubuntu which i will increase when necessary

arnavk007
October 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
ill wait for 10.10 as currently my win 7 installation has started giving problems so will not take risks

arnavk007
October 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
at what time is ubuntu 10.10 going to be released so i download it will do installing next weekend

CharlesA
October 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
It'll be released on the 10th, when it's ready.

arnavk007
October 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM
It'll be released on the 10th, when it's ready.

I wanted to know the exact time like fedora releases at 10 am pacific on that date
so in that way what is the time when ubuntu will be released

CharlesA
October 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I wanted to know the exact time like fedora releases at 10 am pacific on that date
so in that way what is the time when ubuntu will be released
See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1591483

arnavk007
October 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
so downloaded the ubuntu 10.10 server will install it on sunday
can i have gui on the server as i will also be using it as a spare machine just to check mail and stuff

CharlesA
October 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
You can install a GUI on it, yes.

See here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI) for more info.

If you just want it as a spare machine and not really a dedicated server, there isn't really any reason to run the server version, as the desktop version can run services just fine (and it includes a GUI by default)

arnavk007
October 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Does the server edition has laptop power saving enhancements like powering down hdd

but the problem with desktop edition is that it is full of crap.

I'll be using it as a spare machine acting as a 24/7 server accessible frm anywhere in the world with inet access

CharlesA
October 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure if that's a part of Gnome desktop or not. I've not really used Ubuntu server on a laptop before.

The machine I've got spins down the external drives when they are not in use for a while, but as far as I know, it doesn't spin down the internal ones.

arnavk007
October 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM
oh
but would i be able to access samba from outside the network
also is there any way to give print jobs from my iphone using email or some other way

CharlesA
October 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I'd say allowing samba open access to the internet would be a bad idea.

You'd be better off using SSHFS or SFTP to grab files.

As for the other things, I don't know.

arnavk007
October 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
what about something i heard known as ajaxplorer
also if i wanna access external devices from other pcs
will going to /dev/whatever work or i something else required

arrrghhh
October 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Well if it's a mounted drive, it's usually in /media - unless it's part of the system, which case the mount point could be anywhere.

Ajaxplorer is a good way to manage files remotely - not sure if you can transfer files as well, but it should work.

External devices from other PCs... like on your LAN? If they're linux-to-linux, NFS is my preferred protocol on a LAN. Samba if they're windows-to-linux.

arnavk007
October 13th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Ok then will look into samba
the irony to all this discussion is that I still haven't installed ubuntu
cuz haven't recieved my new pc

arnavk007
October 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM
http://www.labnol.org/software/print-files-on-linux/17841/
http://www.labnol.org/internet/print-from-mobile-phones/17827/

i think this would allow me to do remote printing
one question though will i need to have libreoffice to print doc and docx things , also a pdf reader

also is it possible for me to have this print queue print only when the printer is on

arnavk007
October 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM
So the problem Is that Dell is asking for more time to deliver my pc
fcking Dell
don't worry I want to do the config in the next two weeks or so
I tried using the live USB function but it wants me to install ubuntu to my hard disk
now what I would like to do is that install ubuntu server on a raid of two 4 gig pen drives or may be try for a 16gig one
my laptop can boot from USB
I would then do the configuration in the pen drives
when my pc comes will then boot from the pen drives only
I will then spin down the internal hdd permanently to save power

give ur two cents

arnavk007
October 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Got into a problem
I tried doing the raid of flash drives by the following way
I have a 2 gig pen drive with ubuntu live USB on it
it is the server 10.10 32 bit edition
I boot from it and afterwards pluton a USB hub which has the two pen drives plugged into it
but the installer hangs at a point where it shows scanning disks at 45%
without these pen drives it works fine but I don't install ubuntu

arnavk007
October 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Even booting from cd gives those problems

arnavk007
October 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
It worked out I used only one 16 gig drive and success

arnavk007
October 25th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I installed lxde
but am not able to install hplip
it says I don't have gcc but I wrote a small cpp program and was able to compile it
what to do now

arnavk007
October 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Plz help how do I install hplip
also I saw e17 screenshots can I install it if yes then how
btw why is no one replying to my queries
please help especially for hplip as without it no print sharing

arrrghhh
October 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Plz help how do I install hplip
also I saw e17 screenshots can I install it if yes then how
btw why is no one replying to my queries
please help especially for hplip as without it no print sharing

You can just use CUPS for printer sharing... That's what I do, then everyone can just print to an IP printer. Easy.

arnavk007
October 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Without hplip will the printer work
I will try tonight

arrrghhh
October 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Without hplip will the printer work
I will try tonight

I don't know... I used hplip in KDE, but I never set it up on my server.

the_original_billq
October 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
if you want to build code, apt-get install build-essential.
you probably don't need hplip. cups is the way to go.

arnavk007
October 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
So I was able to install hplip using apt get
q1 what would be the command to suspend /dev/sda could I do something to make it run on startup
also after I checked the share printer box in cups webui I was not able to access the printer using a windows system
local printing works fine but it is only black n white any workaround available
I would like a script which copies dev sdb to media Arnav data. After every hr as I have read that flash drives die earlier
if I copy the files which I have backuped that is dev sdb If I copy them to a new pen drive will it be bootable
also what is the default filesystem in ubuntu ext 3 or 4

arnavk007
October 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
how do i install ajaxplorer
also the laptop hangs at the login screen no mouse working no keyboard nothing
help every1

arnavk007
October 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
i am able to login using putty what should i do??????
help asap:confused::confused:

arrrghhh
October 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Dude you NEED to give us more information. You seem to just come here and post without even trying to find answers to your problems.

Trust me, nearly 100% of what you are trying to do has been done successfully by someone else - so go out there and read! Then when you're stuck, you can go thru all the steps you've tried and say I'm stuck at X step, what am I missing.

Instead, you're just posting at random with very little information asking for "help asap". Please do your due diligence, and then let us know where you're stuck. It'll help you learn, and it'll make our job of helping you a heckuva lot easier.

arnavk007
October 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ok arrrghhh
lemme list the steps :-
i downloaded ajaxplorer and unzipped it. then i turned off my laptop and went out
after two hours i started my laptop and it got stuck at the gdm login window
i see the cursor but pressing keys on keyboard and moving the mouse no response
so i tried using ssh to access my system i started putty on another laptop and whoa was able to login
then after some searching i decided to turn of the gui so i typed sudo init 3
the screen on my laptop went blank nothing could be observed
then i typed shutdown - r now i could see some text on my laptops screen and it rebooted still got stuck at the login window

now can you help

arrrghhh
October 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
ok arrrghhh
lemme list the steps :-
i downloaded ajaxplorer and unzipped it. then i turned off my laptop and went out
after two hours i started my laptop and it got stuck at the gdm login window
i see the cursor but pressing keys on keyboard and moving the mouse no response
so i tried using ssh to access my system i started putty on another laptop and whoa was able to login
then after some searching i decided to turn of the gui so i typed sudo init 3
the screen on my laptop went blank nothing could be observed
then i typed shutdown - r now i could see some text on my laptops screen and it rebooted still got stuck at the login window

now can you help

Uhm... you're running GDM on a server? Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole it sounds like. Just install ubuntu-desktop, don't install the server edition if you want GNOME.

Did you actually shutdown your laptop? You said 'turned off'...

arnavk007
October 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Uhm... you're running GDM on a server? Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole it sounds like. Just install ubuntu-desktop, don't install the server edition if you want GNOME.

Did you actually shutdown your laptop? You said 'turned off'...

I run lxde not gnome I use openbox as window manager
I think lxde also uses gdm I was not sure
ya I actually shut it down but I think my sever was doing something in the background cuz it took a lot of time for it to shut down

arnavk007
October 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Could anyone help please

arrrghhh
October 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Sorry, I don't do DE's on -server systems... Can't really help you.

arnavk007
October 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM
can anyone please help me
maybe Charlesa
i wont be able to continue without help

Boondoklife
October 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
maybe Charlesa

I took a quick stroll through this tread and it is a friggin mess! If you are looking for a no fuss way for getting alot of the functionality you want, I would do the following.

1) for your file server, just install the Desktop version you can share files and what not just fine with it. Don't bother with a server edition or putting other GUI's on it. Just run it with stock gnome and call it a day.

2) for a printer solution, why not just get a network ready printer. I swear by my HP c4795 and can print from any system to it, even my windows mobile phone! It was dirt cheap at bestbuy a while back and is prolly cheaper now.

3) as for accessing your files remotely, you could just install a VPN service on the file server and you will be able to get into your files and browse them just like you are at home from anywhere you have an internet connection (as long as you dont run into a firewall issue). If this seems a little over whelming, then you could also get a VPN appliance and use it to gain access to your network. These are pretty cheap on ebay.

I know that all of this can be done from a central box but in your case you seem to be running into all kinds of issues and this way might be easier.

arnavk007
October 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Boondoklife thank you for help
ok i will dload the desktop version
buying a printer not an option check page 4
i live in india so no bestbuy
will revert tomorrow

Boondoklife
October 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Boondoklife thank you for help
ok i will dload the desktop version
buying a printer not an option check page 4
i live in india so no bestbuy
will revert tomorrow

Well there may not be a bestbuy but Im sure you have access to retailers that can provide you with the needed goods. You could also try to get one of the small print server devices that convert any printer into a network one.

If you are adamant about getting all this to work with just one box, then I would suggest you get the printer working on the server. Once you have that going, then you are going to have to get very familiar with this doc:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html

I have used cups before just fine but it did take some tweaking, however now I would not be any assistance as I just don't use it.

CharlesA
October 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM
maybe Charlesa

Sorry, I don't know where to start. I don't run a DE on my server and don't use CUPS to share a printer (all my printers have the ability to attach directly to the network)

arnavk007
October 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
boondoklife
yes the printer works with my server
thanks for help

arrrghhh
October 30th, 2010, 06:52 PM
boondoklife
yes the printer works with my server
thanks for help

You'll have a much easier time setting up all the stuff you want with ubuntu-desktop - and like we've all said before, you can run ALL the same services with ubuntu-desktop. -server is for servers - it doesn't come with a DE because for some it's not necessary. My server isn't even plugged into a monitor ;)

At any rate, once you get ubuntu-desktop installed & setup, we should be able to get your printer up & going and all the other stuffs you wanted. Please, read, research, search before you post - the only way we can help you is if you help yourself. I've had to re-read documents many many times before if I didn't grasp it - after you've finished banging your head against the wall, then post. Tell us what you've done/tried/used what-have-you, and that will help us not repeat things you may have tried.

Keep in mind, this all doesn't happen overnight - this make take you a few weeks to setup & get working how you want it. You have to learn to tread water before you can swim :D

arnavk007
October 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM
arrrghhh thx for the last minute tip
one small question
should i install ubuntu on the pen drive or live usb with persistence would work
any performance difference or something

Boondoklife
October 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I personally would not install an OS onto a USB stick as you can quickly wear out the drive. Get a USB hard disk if possible.

You could customize the OS and tweak everything to write to a RAM disk but yea that would just be not worth the time and effort.

arnavk007
October 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
i hv a usb hdd but wont use it
i want to install it on a pen drive to save power as then the internal hdd wont be used and i could spin it down
i will use the usb hdd to store data

Boondoklife
October 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
i hv a usb hdd but wont use it
i want to install it on a pen drive to save power as then the internal hdd wont be used and i could spin it down
i will use the usb hdd to store data

Well you may wanna look into creating a Ram drive and having your logs and other accessed file written to it instead of the pendrive, if you don't you will find it to have a very short lifespan and dead server. You could even go as far as to setup a software raid 1 with two thumb drives that way if one dies you can replace it but again that will get costly after they start dying.

arnavk007
October 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM
i have only 1 gig ram will it work also i require windows on this laptop for the next 10 days or so
i have 5 4 gig pen drives but only 3 usb ports to spare

arrrghhh
October 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't install the OS on a pendrive, Boondoklife speaks the truth - you'll wear out the pendrives quickly & the server will die.

Also, you'll probably have worse performance than a traditional hard drive. Now if you purchased an SSD hard drive... that's another story.

arnavk007
October 31st, 2010, 02:30 AM
ok then best option partition then install on internal hdd

arnavk007
October 31st, 2010, 05:37 AM
Well you may wanna look into creating a Ram drive and having your logs and other accessed file written to it instead of the pendrive, if you don't you will find it to have a very short lifespan and dead server. You could even go as far as to setup a software raid 1 with two thumb drives that way if one dies you can replace it but again that will get costly after they start dying.
Is it possible for me to use a pen drive for the same and copy those logs to internal hdd every 24 hrs
this will reduce use of hdd and will save power + i can save pen drives and other things
if yes then how to

arnavk007
October 31st, 2010, 05:40 AM
i do not think a vpn will work as it will require me to have a static ip which i dont have
would ajaxplorer be a better idea
it uses apache

CharlesA
October 31st, 2010, 05:41 AM
You can use something like dyndns if you have a dynamic ip.

arnavk007
October 31st, 2010, 05:44 AM
i have dyndns but i was thinking if i set up port forwarding then i can do like this :
xxxxxx.dyndns.org:somenonstandardport
i will then bookmark this link on all devices
i will put a password and taraaa
my isp blocks port 80 cuz even when using edge doing port 80 lands me on my routers config page

arnavk007
October 31st, 2010, 08:35 AM
i have installed 10.10 desktop
what to do now??????

arnavk007
October 31st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Got into a problem
I marked samba apache and some other packages for install in the software centre
while it was installing I put down my laptops screen
I then went to take bath
when I returned the LEDs of laptop were not lit
so I pressed the power button it showed a login window and then turned off
now I can't install samba it says already installed but it's not so

arnavk007
October 31st, 2010, 07:59 PM
hey was able to do samba and stuff
i extracted the zip file into /var/www/ now what to do

arrrghhh
October 31st, 2010, 11:15 PM
hey was able to do samba and stuff
i extracted the zip file into /var/www/ now what to do

I see you've read their documentation (http://www.ajaxplorer.info/wordpress/documentation-3/) very thoroughly... :rolleyes:

Assuming everything's been setup, you should just browse to that link on your apache server.

arnavk007
November 1st, 2010, 05:06 AM
Arrrghhh what do you mean everything has been set up
also how do I browse to the link
I got into a problem
I wanted to set up static ip for my laptop
I tried out a guide on cyberciti.biz
but now I am not able to access the net

I will put the /etc/interfaces file after some time

arnavk007
November 1st, 2010, 05:42 AM
so here is the /etc/network/interfaces file which i edited

arnavk007
November 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Could anyone please help

CharlesA
November 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM
Could anyone please help

No offense, but no one is going to walk you step by step thru all the steps required to get Ajax up and running, especially when there is documentation (http://www.ajaxplorer.info/wordpress/documentation-3/) on it already.

We are all volunteers here and you need to do at least some of the work, else you'll never learn how to use the different parts of yer system.

s.fox
November 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Insulting other members will not be tolerated. Thread Closed.

I would also advise that you read some of the samba documentation and then post back when you hit a specific problem.

Elfy
November 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
This thread appears to be a constant bump - you need to work out what it is you are needinfg and then put it in one post. Constantly adding posts is in effect a bump - if you wish to do so then leave at least 24 hours between posts.

As it stands this thread appears to be going nowhere.

As has been said you need to at least start looking for information yourself.

You will also need to collect your thoughts and repost as this one is now closed.