PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ssh key issues

badnaam
September 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Scenario 1. I am doing this from /home/deploy directory
I am trying to set up ssh with github for capistrano deployment. this has been an absolute nightmare.
when I do ssh git@github.com as the deploy account I get
Permission denied (publickey).
so may be the key is not being found, so If I do a
ssh-add /home/deploy/.ssh/id_rsa
Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.
(i did verify that the ssh-agent was running) If I do exec ssh-agent bash and then repeat the ssh-add then the key does get added and I can ssh into github.
Now I exit from the ssh connection to my server and ssh back in and I can't ssh into github anymore!
Scenario 2
if I login to my remote server and then cd into my .ssh directory and ssh into github then it all works fine
I guess there is a problem with locating the key and for some reason the agent isn't funcitoning correctly.
Any ideas?

Here is the pastie with my .bashrc and other info.

http://pastie.org/pastes/1190557/

a9k3d
October 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Three machines involved:

Development machine you are typing on.
Server that you telling via capistrano and ssh to get files from github
Github server

I found I had to change the name of id_rsa or id_dsa to keep straight what ID I was wanting. I have one id_dsa to get on my server called a9k_id and another for repositories call git_id.

I run ssh-agent at startup but there is only ONE process running. You show TEN. That could be a problem, how is a poor ssh to know which one you want to use.

When I type ssh-add -l I get both id's listed.

Smells like you are getting too many ssh-agents going. Note my cap deploy isn't starting any ssh-add or ssh-agent since ssh-agent is always on on my machine.

ssh-agent -s should show something like echo Agent pid 18538; which will tell you which of those ten ssh-agent you really are using.

The good news is you can get from the server to the repository - that is half the battle won.