PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB doesn't consistently start

5circles
September 30th, 2010, 05:04 PM
When I restart, GRUB sometimes doesn't start. It just hangs at the flashing cursor before grub.

When I restart again, grub works fine. The flashing cursor shows at the top of the screen for a few seconds, and then there is one or more new lines, and then the grub screen.

This is on an HP Pavilion 640 which is otherwise very stable.

Any ideas?

Rubi1200
September 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Are you still using Jaunty (it is in your sig.)?

5circles
September 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Whoops - I've been meaning to update the signature.

This has been happening through several Ubuntu releases. First Jaunty, then Karmic, and now Lucid. So I think it must be something to do with the machine.

dino99
September 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
you might watch logs to know about that issue: xsession-errors in your /home (ctrl+h to unhide it) and logviewer (system admin)

be sure that menu.list is gone and you can remove/purge then reinstall grub-pc into synaptic (in a raw, dont reboot without grub installed of course)

Rubi1200
September 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
So which version of GRUB do you currently have installed?

5circles
November 3rd, 2010, 01:40 AM
Sorry - I didn't realize how long it has taken me to get back to this. Too many other projects (and thankfully few Ubuntu reboots).

Rubi1200: Here's what I see from
grub-install -v

grub-install (GNU GRUB 1.98-1ubuntu7)

Dino99: Redoing the menu is probably a good idea, but I doubt that it is anything to do with x-session. This is from right at reboot - isn't that before any x windows stuff?

Thanks