PDA

View Full Version : Stay in Hoary, or upgrade to Dapper?

Sushi
April 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'm anxious to try out GNOME 2.14 (and that GLX-stuff seems mighty tempting as well....), and the easiest way to do that would propably be to upgrade my Breezy to Dapper. And the question is: Should I do it? How likely are things to break down? Are there still bits that do not work? Note: the system I would be upgrading is my main OS. But Dapper seems to be at the end of the developement-cycle, so I assume that most things left to do are just polishing. No major breakage is to be expected. Right?

EDIT: BREEZY ==> DAPPER, not Hoary ==> Dapper!

taurus
April 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
As they always say, backup your personal files first before doing any upgrading or you will be sorry later on. If it's your main machine, I would wait for the final release of Dapper Drake and upgrade then...

Darkriser
April 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM
and what about Breezy? :mrgreen:

Sushi
April 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
and what about Breezy? :mrgreen:

Aww crap! I KNEW I got the names wrong! So the upgrade would be from Breezy to Dapper. Forget this stuff about Hoary

Damn confusing codenames.....

dabear
April 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Well it would be smarter to move your /home to a seperate partition, and then download the Dapper install cd, and install it that way. Upgrading from hoary to dapper isn't supported, you'll have to go through breezy; hoary->breezy->dapper, and chances are that this would require A LOT MORE bandwidth and downloads than a single Dapper cd on < 700 mb

Sushi
April 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Well it would be smarter to move your /home to a seperate partition, and then download the Dapper install cd, and install it that way. Upgrading from hoary to dapper isn't supported, you'll have to go through breezy; hoary->breezy->dapper, and chances are that this would require A LOT MORE bandwidth and downloads than a single Dapper cd on < 700 mb

I made an error with the names. It's from Breezy to Dapper, not Hoary to Dapper ;).

LMP900
April 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Dapper has been fairly stable for me. But as taurus said, I'd wait til the final release before making it your main OS

dabear
April 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I made an error with the names. It's from Breezy to Dapper, not Hoary to Dapper ;).
Yeah, I read that after posting :)

Dapper is fairly stable by now, I've used it as my primary OS since Flight 4, we're now on Flight 6, I believe. But if you upgrade, be warned that some stuff may break

earobinson
April 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
im all ready running dapper :)

Sushi
April 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM
im all ready running dapper :)

Any problems so far?

mstlyevil
April 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM
If you rely on your operating system to be absolutely stable, then stick with Breezy until Dapper is released. There is still the possibility of things breaking during updates. (Just go and read the varoius threads on the Nvidia drivers from the repos if you want proof of the possibility of breakage during updates.)

Wolki
April 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Running dapper full time for some weeks now. No problems. I'd still say wait for the preview release on the 20th. Things should probably be quite stable then.

dabear
April 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Firefox 1.5 seems extremly slow, that's all. But that's easily changed by downloading and using firefox 2 alpha1 :D

earobinson
April 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
well if you want to know about the dapper pros and cons I would check out the dapper forums.

But my short review is that I am able to run it on my laptop and on my computer, it is great just as stable and way faster. Sometimes something will get broken (eg rhythmbox) but it is usualy fixed within the week and this is becoming less common as the release date nears.

When dapper comes out there will be another bunch of bugs reported so for the people that need there systems super stable I would wait a least a month before u upgrade.

OffHand
April 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM
My HP printer didn't work with Flight 5 so I switched back.
Otherwise it seemed pretty stable (except a GRUB error during install so back up). It's also easier to find documentation with Breezey.

earobinson
April 11th, 2006, 05:34 PM
It's also easier to find documentation with Breezey. VERY TRUE