PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 Beta wireless HP 6910p

D8TA
September 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 beta and now my wireless doesn't work. It does have the soft switch to enable/disable wireless along with the sound and sound volume. I cannot get any of these lights to turn on and in the BIOS everything is enabled. Everything was working with 10.04 and previous versions so I am not sure if there is a driver missing for the soft switches in this version.

lspci shows my wireless device
10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

When I reboot the machine the wireless indicator does light up for a brief 2-3 seconds until the machine starts to boot then it goes off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

guntu
September 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 beta and now my wireless doesn't work. It does have the soft switch to enable/disable wireless along with the sound and sound volume. I cannot get any of these lights to turn on and in the BIOS everything is enabled. Everything was working with 10.04 and previous versions so I am not sure if there is a driver missing for the soft switches in this version.

lspci shows my wireless device
10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

When I reboot the machine the wireless indicator does light up for a brief 2-3 seconds until the machine starts to boot then it goes off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check which driver you have installed (active) if any and post it here:
Open "Hardware Drivers". System > Administration > "Hardware Drivers"

If possible add a screenshot of the Hardware Drivers window.

I get the feeling that most HP/Compaq users have the same problem with getting the wireless to work.

Dojoda
October 2nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 beta updated from 10.04 also and now my wireless also doesn't work.
Using a Acer Aspire5020. At a loss as to what to do. Went to "Hardware Drivers" - not to sure what to do as it only shows modem driver active.

guntu
October 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 beta updated from 10.04 also and now my wireless also doesn't work.
Using a Acer Aspire5020. At a loss as to what to do. Went to "Hardware Drivers" - not to sure what to do as it only shows modem driver active.

I don't see why you would be looking at the Modem - as I understand this is usually your fax modem (how yo used to connect back in the days of 56kb telephone conections), you shold be looking for the "Wireless Drivers" , try this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9903527

Jony35359595
October 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I'v upgraded my 6910p yesterday to 10.10 and my WiFi stopped working.
It's asking for password, then 1 min halt and all over again.
On my wife's Asus all works.

In my Hardware Drivers I dont see anything at all.

Any suggestions?

guntu
October 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'v upgraded my 6910p yesterday to 10.10 and my WiFi stopped working.
It's asking for password, then 1 min halt and all over again.
On my wife's Asus all works.

In my Hardware Drivers I dont see anything at all.

Any suggestions?

there are some known and documented issues with drivers in 10.10 including nvidia and wireless drivers. check the link below, see if it's the case with you.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes

Jony35359595
October 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I'v already reinstalled 10.04, thanks for answering.

guntu
October 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I'v already reinstalled 10.04, thanks for answering.

Good, I'm glad you got it sorted out now.

It's probably best to stay away from the new release for some months while all the flaws surface and the fixes are implemented - just to save you some trouble..