PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with Apache rewrite syntax

Jive Turkey
September 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I have an ubuntu home server running apache and other services. I also use the hosts file trick to block ads and other junk on all of my computers.

Instead of setting my hosts files to 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0, I would like to point it to an IP for my server and have a nice looking tiled image served so that web pages with ads will have my nice index.html page shown instead of the ads or my browsers' "server not found" message in the advert elements. I have apache serving the page but I think I need to make a apache rewrite rule to get my clients request for the ads' uri to get the substituted content. I've looked at some rewrite examples and I just don't get the syntax.

In short, I want all requests to serve "index.html" even if "garbage/advert/obnoxiousflash-ad.flv" or anything else is requested.

This is what I've tried so far (the first thing that doesn't throw errors anyway)

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/www/ads
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $/index.html [L]
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/ads/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
# alert, emerg.
LogLevel warn

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
<Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Ryan Dwyer
September 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
That rule should work. Make sure you have mod_rewrite enabled (sudo a2enmod rewrite) and restart Apache after any config changes (sudo service apache2 restart).

Edit: Wait, remove the $ from $/index.html.

Jive Turkey
September 30th, 2010, 10:20 AM
That rule should work. Make sure you have mod_rewrite enabled (sudo a2enmod rewrite) and restart Apache after any config changes (sudo service apache2 restart).

Edit: Wait, remove the $ from $/index.html.

That didn't quite do it for me but I think I'm getting closer. Part of the problem is that I'm trying to have it rewrite everything to /index.html however, everything includes /index.html apache hates me for this.

I've come up with:
RewriteRule !\.index.html$ - [S=1]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://10.0.0.100/index.html [L]

The first line, I believe should skip the next rule if /index.html is requested and the next line should rewrite everything to /index.html
Still, nothing seems to be affected. What I want should never return 404's because it should be serving index.html for all requests. I'm still as confused.

Ryan Dwyer
September 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Have you considered using an ErrorDocument instead of mod_rewrite?

This should do the trick:
ErrorDocument 404 /index.html

EDIT: This one works:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule index.html - [L]
RewriteRule . /index.html