PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] multiple unique desktops?

hortstu
September 30th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Back in march, when I was still using hardy heron, I made a few posts trying to figure out if there was a way to really take advantage of the separate workspaces/desks.

Has any progress been made in this direction? I want to do more than move firefox windows around. I want to dedicate a workspace to different projects or aspects of my life. I want to have different icons up in each one that relate to the project I'm working on and only that project.

Is this possible yet with 10.04? Please tell me yes and then tell me how!

Thanks.

theDaveTheRave
September 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
hotstu,

This probably doesn't help much, but a though of how you may be able to do it....

Each could then have specific screen backgrounds with different icons.

This would probably feel almost like logging in as different users? That may be the way to think of the problem a single user with multiple 'virtual desktop profiles' and a specifed config file for each virtual desktop.

Personally I wouldn't even know where to begin to see the desktop config that are available!

but maybe it will give someone an idea.

David

hortstu
September 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks Dave,

I'm surprised no one has done this yet. Maybe I should just set up a half dozen users and log in and out every time I want to change my focus. It would be nice to be able to bounce back and forth and still feel completely organized in each space as I do it.

Is there a place where I can suggest this to developers? Maybe offer a donation towards the completion of such a project? I can't imagine I'm the only one that would find this idea incredibly useful.

hortstu
September 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Apparently people have been asking this same question since before 2007.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=357146