PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update Manager kernel/header updates flagged with "New install"

kevintap
September 30th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Update Manager popped up today and has a few Recommended updates for my machine. Included in the Recommended updates is a new kernel (2.6.32-25). Next to several of the kernel/header updates is the text "(New install)". What does the "New install" text mean here? Will installing the kernel/header updates do anything destructive to the system?

Thanks!

tommcd
September 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Well, the kernel updates are "new" in that they are not yet currently installed. The kernel updates are provided for bug fixes and or security updates, so the should be installed.
Please run in the terminal:
sudo apt-get update
And then post the output of:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
I have not used update manager in years. I manage all updates and package installs from the terminal. It is faster and simpler that way you know.
In all likelihood this is a harmless update.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

Elfy
September 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM
It is - I got it yesterday I think.

If update-manager is offering them I'd use that - the only time I don't use update manager is when I'm using an unreleased version.

kevintap
September 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys, the kernel updates installed just fine. I had just never seen the "New install" text next to an updated package before.

Elfy
September 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM
It wasn't updated - it was new :)

When that kernel get's updates it'll not say new

That at least is what I understood it to mean when I first saw the same thing.

If you're happy can you mark the thread solved - in Thread Tools at the top.