PDA

View Full Version : vector.size() of a custom class.

YourMomsASmurph
September 30th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I'm trying to initialize this function in cpp:

class coord {
int x;
int y;
public:
coord(int a, int b);
};
coord::coord(int a, int b) {
x = a;
y = b;
}

void move(std::vector<coord> *vertex, int *map[21][12], char dir) {
if (dir = 'D'){
for (int i = vertex.size() ; i > 0; i--) {

}
}
}

get a compiler error

In function ‘void move(std::vector<coord, std::allocator<coord> >*, int* (*)[12], char)’:
error: request for member ‘size’ in ‘vertex’, which is of non-class type ‘std::vector<coord, std::allocator<coord> >*’|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===|

NovaAesa
September 30th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Think about what type of variable "vertex" is. Why would using *any* instance function on vertex be a bad idea?

YourMomsASmurph
September 30th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Think about what type of variable "vertex" is. Why would using *any* instance function on vertex be a bad idea?

Just thought of something -- could be wrong let me know.

vertex is a pointer to a piece of memory that holds a vector, thus it's not a vector itself.

So change *vertex to &vertex, which should work.

NovaAesa
September 30th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Yes, you could do that and it would work fine. Another option would be to change vertex.size() to vertex->size(). This is shorthand for (*vertex).size().

EDIT: Which option is best really depends on what calling semantics you are after.

dwhitney67
September 30th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I'm trying to initialize this function in cpp:

class coord {
int x;
int y;
public:
coord(int a, int b);
};
coord::coord(int a, int b) {
x = a;
y = b;
}

void move(std::vector<coord> *vertex, int *map[21][12], char dir) {
if (dir = 'D'){
for (int i = vertex.size() ; i > 0; i--) {

}
}
}

get a compiler error

In function ‘void move(std::vector<coord, std::allocator<coord> >*, int* (*)[12], char)’:
error: request for member ‘size’ in ‘vertex’, which is of non-class type ‘std::vector<coord, std::allocator<coord> >*’|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===|

Is that the real code, or something that you conjured up from memory?

Error here:

if (dir = 'D'){ // assignment?

Error here:

for (int i = vertex.size() // vertex is a pointer

Warning here:

for (int i = vertex.size()... // size() returns type of size_t

Now the following begs to be asked... why are you passing pointers around? Just pass by reference.

And why is 'move(...)' not part of a class?

YourMomsASmurph
September 30th, 2010, 03:01 AM

Came up with it from memory, the code is... huge right now, so just tried to remember the parts that were important.

Error here:

if (dir = 'D'){ // assignment?
Error here:

for (int i = vertex.size() // vertex is a pointer
Warning here:

for (int i = vertex.size()... // size() returns type of size_t
Now the following begs to be asked... why are you passing pointers around? Just pass by reference.

And why is 'move(...)' not part of a class?

Brain wasn't working -- Thought I was passing by reference for what ever reason.
It wasn't until NovaAesa made me look at the code that I realized what I was doing was completely wrong.

//Making a "Falling block game" brains slightly lost as to how to organize it properly (Which is why move is not part of a class yet).
I'm just creating all the functions I am going to need. Write each one separately, then put together and edit at the end.
(Only really have 1 semester of programming courses[trying to self teach], BUT need to have a few games programmed by this summer to get a chance at a specific internship.)

nvteighen
September 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
By the way, I'm pretty sure you also don't need your map parameter to be an array of 2D arrays (int *map[12][12])... Pass the 2D array, unless you want to modify the 2D array's memory address (which I really doubt: I guess you want to modify its contents). But maybe, your map should be a class or maybe there is a STL container for that (I'm not a C++ programmer)... C-like arrays are impractical in C++ because C++ has better higher-level constructs for you (C has to cope with that kind of arrays because of what tasks the language is meant to be used for... but you're *not* programming in C!).