PDA

View Full Version : Yet another market share thread

Aetixintro
September 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I would like to post an update on market shares:
From (as usual): http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

The numbers, August 2010:
Windows 91.34%
Mac 5.00%
iOS 1.13%
Java ME 0.86%
Linux 0.85%
Symbian 0.27%
Android 0.20%

It's obvious that this is the Ubuntu movement's battleground! It should also be noted that Asia is probably better off with a system that's open to customization rather than proprietary and "slavery" Microsoft Windows (and all the spinoffs and dependencies).

The Microsoft Windows share of 91.34% is purely a historical fact! That they should claim this, if they do, is a blatant insult to the 6.8 billion people of the world population, possibly deducting the 310 million U.S. American population. So, sure, Microsoft has done it, but the world should reclaim itself in symmetric terms and in competence by relying on the fine minds within other countries (aside USA). In OS terms then, BE CONFIDENT, hopefully with Ubuntu, at least to begin with!! Cheers!

cariboo
September 30th, 2010, 01:06 AM
The thread you posted in was over 3 years old. Moved to a thread of it's own.

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
The thread you posted in was over 3 years old. Moved to a thread of it's own.

Could have put it into Recurring. :o

cariboo
September 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM
It'll probably end up there. :)

Half-Left
September 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM
There's good things to being a minority OS and I like it that way. Linux is a successful OS on other platforms and devices, so I not sure why people seem to think the desktop is the all and end all for Linux.

oldsoundguy
September 30th, 2010, 01:19 AM
More like "moved to boring"

Quoting figures from sites that have a severely small sample is just adding to the FUD.

A site that samples over 40,000 sites world wide with 15,000 views at EACH SITE is far more accurate IMO!

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Dustin2128
September 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM
More like "moved to boring"

Quoting figures from sites that have a severely small sample is just adding to the FUD.

A site that samples over 40,000 sites world wide with 15,000 views at EACH SITE is far more accurate IMO!

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
Indeed, linux market share has been over 1% for some time, we know that for sure, but beyond that due to lack of phoning home (which is a good thing) we don't know.

Zzl1xndd
September 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Indeed, linux market share has been over 1% for some time, we know that for sure, but beyond that due to lack of phoning home (which is a good thing) we don't know.

No doubt, these numbers have never held up. As the last estimate I looked over stated there was about 1.2 billion computers in use today. Ubuntu Says they have 12 million and Fedora claims 24 million. That alone places us at 3%, far larger then 1%.

Half-Left
September 30th, 2010, 02:37 AM
No doubt, these numbers have never held up. As the last estimate I looked over stated there was about 1.2 billion computers in use today. Ubuntu Says they have 12 million and Fedora claims 24 million. That alone places us at 3%, far larger then 1%.

I always thought market share was usually based on how many computers are brought from OEM's and shipped with an OS. Linux netbook share is about 31% in which people have actually brought the product that comes with Linux.

it's all rather confusing how they calculate market share, since they seem to be doing it via the web browser reporting the OS, which is not accurate.

Dustin2128
September 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM
are you sure about that? I'm thinking that fedora has less for some reason.

Zzl1xndd
September 30th, 2010, 04:24 AM
are you sure about that? I'm thinking that fedora has less for some reason.

Just going by their own numbers. I suspect Ubuntu has more.

pommie
September 30th, 2010, 06:59 AM
If you go by current OS's (the shape of the future) the the share changes a lot, if you notice it only states the figures for Mac OS X, no previous Mac OS's, yet with Windows they are adding all version figures, the largest by far XP, 46.29% by itself, but you cannot buy XP new anymore.
Linux OS's would, I think, be mostly the current version, or maybe one version behind, so the figures for current OS's are,
( Stats from here http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php )
Win7 -------18.37%
Vista -------15.95%
Mac OS X---7.08%
Linux -------1.52 %
That equals 42.92, now the base 100%

so the adjusted figures are,

Win7 -------42.8%
Vista -------37.16%
Win total ---79.96%

Mac OS X---16.5%
Linux -------3.54%

So there it is, Linux is doing better than everyone thought :) and the Windows hype is a lot less shiny :twisted:

Cheers David

HermanAB
September 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM
...and if you add the 2 to 3 billion Linux embedded devices to the mix, then the market share looks like this:
Win total ---25%
Mac OS X---0%
Linux -------75%

There, now the picture is rather different and suddenly it is clear why the MS shareprice is fading so fast.

pommie
September 30th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Even though the thread is about desktops,
have you got a link to support those rather outlandish figures ??

Cheers David

Khakilang
September 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM
And the fact that most Asia population use pirated Window, that doesn't count.

ronnielsen1
September 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Pretty good article here called
Debunking the 1% Myth

So what is Linux real market share on the desktop? The best estimate for present sales is around 8%, which puts Linux just a little behind or perhaps just about even with MacOS. 8% translates to 24 million systems per year sold with Linux preloaded. Windows represents at least 80% of the market and is a de facto monopoly still. However, there has been a steady erosion of that monopoly status.
If we talk about actual usage there really is no way to get an accurate measure. Educated guesswork probably puts Linux at close to 10%, just about even with MacOS. That is a far cry from 1% and is in no way insignificant.

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/09/debunking-the-1-myth.html

HermanAB
September 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Some years ago, I saw an IBM article that estimated the number of Linux embedded devices at 2.2 billion, but you can figure it out yourself this way:

Each year about 350 million Linux based embedded devices are made. These last 5 to 7 years, so multiply up and add the web servers and whatnot. Also about 30% of cell phones run Linux. So there are a helluvalot of Linux devices out there.

sdowney717
September 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.osnews.com/img/21035/ballmermacs.png

http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ballmer_Linux_Bigger_Competitor_than_Apple

Microsoft says Linux is significant and bigger share than Apple.
So who do you believe?

Zzl1xndd
September 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.osnews.com/img/21035/ballmermacs.png

http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ballmer_Linux_Bigger_Competitor_than_Apple

Microsoft says Linux is significant and bigger share than Apple.
So who do you believe?

If anyone really has the right number it is probably MS. They do have vested interest it how their competitors are doing.

Aetixintro
October 1st, 2010, 01:50 AM
If you go by current OS's (the shape of the future) the the share changes a lot, if you notice it only states the figures for Mac OS X, no previous Mac OS's, yet with Windows they are adding all version figures, the largest by far XP, 46.29% by itself, but you cannot buy XP new anymore.
Linux OS's would, I think, be mostly the current version, or maybe one version behind, so the figures for current OS's are,
( Stats from here http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php )
Win7 -------18.37%
Vista -------15.95%
Mac OS X---7.08%
Linux -------1.52 %
That equals 42.92, now the base 100%

so the adjusted figures are,

Win7 -------42.8%
Vista -------37.16%
Win total ---79.96%

Mac OS X---16.5%
Linux -------3.54%It's funny that you post these numbers when the numbers of the link above dated from 2010/08/31 actually are these:
1 Windows XP 46.29%
2 Windows 7 18.37%
3 Windows Vista 15.95%
4 Mac OS X 7.08%
5 Linux 1.52%
6 Windows 2003 1.09%
7 iPhone OSX 0.81%
So, you're at least partly right! Yet these are more precise.
I think indeed this is the most authoritative market picture of OSes.
When Microsoft claims that Linux is 7%, they simultaneously say they are conducting business properly and that there is real competition in the market. I think there's NOT! This is because of how the industry has evolved with the serious processor enterprises being built in USA and how the business network there has behaved. I deduct here both Amiga Commodore and ARM. Infineon is not even to consider. I think it will take serious subsidiary efforts to balance these deficits on segments and competence and that one is justified legally to do so, in Asia and in Europe.
All in all, therefore, I think the numbers from Microsoft rank below the numbers from both W3.org and marketshare.hitslink.com. Sure, pleasure! Cheers! :)

holiday
October 1st, 2010, 02:15 AM
I will never tire of saying that 'market share' has nothing to do with the value of Linux to those of us, this 1% or even for crying out fewer, who love it.

You want to impress your friends, look cool to the shallow chicks in the coffee shop, get a Mac.

Damn! Isn't that so obvious? You go evangelizing Ubuntu, you're going to come off like a big red nose pimply guy. Get over it.

I have said before, and am saying now again, with exasperation, that the greatest threat to Linux is this notion that we have to win the Biz students and the Grannies away from Windows.

We don't! This is our OS. We are the Linux community. The more like Windows we become, the less like Linux we are. Obvious, right?

Besides, Windows is over. It's all about the cloud now.