PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading to the Ubuntu 10.10 Beta?

xtiano77
September 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I am running 10.04 on both my laptop and my desktop. I am wondering if it would be worth it upgrading to the Beta version now? Should any of the known bugs affect my system prior to the final release?

Intel Motherboard
2GB Ram
Intel Pentium Dual Core Quad Processor
ATI Video Card
Two monitors
1 DVD+R drive
Ubuntu 10.04

Thanks in advance for your advice.

0N3
September 30th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Im running it with absolute no problems at all for 6 weeks nearly now a few minor bugs nothing disastrous would help if it wasn't a productive machine to update but me preferably id do a fresh install less chance of things going wrong

TBABill
September 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I upgraded yesterday and it's flawless. BUT there are known issues with both nVidia and ATi so check the site for known bugs first if you have either. Mine fortunately is Intel graphics so all is well.

Yellow Pasque
September 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Depends on what video driver you're using (proprietary/fglrx/Catalyst vs. open-source).

xtiano77
October 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am using the open-source driver for the video card. It has worked fine without any problems so far. I guess my main concern is that I would like to beat the slow download speeds the day of and following the final release date. Thanks in advance.

gordintoronto
October 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
To beat the slow download speed, use a torrent download. The more people who are downloading, the faster it goes.

Beta software is for testing; you should expect it to break in disastrous ways. I'm running a dual-boot of the beta and my older version.

kDDs
October 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
There's next to nothing new in 10.10, not really worth any headaches that may potentially arise, unless you're planning a new install.

crl0901
October 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
If you do plan to try the upgrade, I suggest installing Remastersys prior to doing anything and use it to perform a complete system backup. If anything goes wrong in the upgrade, just burn the backup ISO to a disc and restore.

Mark Phelps
October 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
As crl0901 indicated, a backup BEFORE you upgrade, especially to a pre-release version, is essential.

Why?

Because there is no generic roll-back capability to restore your previously-working version of 1.04. If the upgrade leaves you with major problems, you're stuck with it.

SeijiSensei
October 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
The 9/28 daily build with kernel 2.6.35-22 fixed a persistent and long-standing bug with my wifi adapter that uses the Ralink rt2500 chipset. It would randomly disconnect, slow down, etc. For me, that was reason enough to switch to 10.10.

The pace of package updates has slowed to a crawl. I was using a different daily build about a month ago and would often see dozens or even hundreds of package updates on a single day. Now we're down to one or two.

Yellow Pasque
October 3rd, 2010, 06:36 AM
You might want to upgrade when the RC (Release Candidate) comes out. Maverick has a newer kernel with some nice new features for the open-source radeon GPU stack (dynamic power-saving and other bug fixes).