PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NetworkManager problems with Update Manager

jeff17237
September 29th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Everytime Ubuntu decides it wants to do an automatic update, if I let it update itself it uninstalls NetworkManager. A few weeks ago after switching to Lucid Lynx, I had problems getting wifi to work (no Network Manager icon in panel). I ended up reinstalling the network-manager-gnome package and things seem to be working fine. However, whenever I tell Update Manager to "Install Updates" itself, it always re-uninstalls NetworkManager and I am once again left with no wifi. This has caused me to have to manually install all the updates through aptitude. This works fine, but a large amount of updates results in a large of amount of time wasted manually installing each updated package. I would like to avoid this is if at all possible. Any suggestions?

jeff17237
September 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM
bump

wilee-nilee
September 30th, 2010, 01:25 AM
bump

Bumps are on a 24 hour time between.

I would look through your log files. This is a problem I have never seen, so it may be up to you to figure this out, maybe also trying other forums as well.

Personally If this was happening to me I would do a install to a thumb via the disc creator, with persistence enough to do a update and upgrade and see if this happens on the thumb as well. If it doesn't I would probably reinstall, after backing up what I wanted. If you have a 8 gig or larger thumb you coild do a full install, jsut make sure grub is pointed at the thumbs mbr at the advanced button on the last install screen.