PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to remove Windows after installing Ubuntu Desktop Edition with Windows installer

guntu
September 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hi,

I've just installed Ubuntu 10.04.1 Desktop Amd 64 Desktop Edition using the Windows installer and now I want to get rid of Windows completely and be able to use that space (all the HD space used for Windows) for Ubuntu alone.

When I installed Ubuntu, I never got the option to make an additional partition and it only allowed me to select the C: drive, which is the partition where Windows is installed.
From what I can tell, Ubuntu is installed in this same partition and I can even see the ubuntu folder within side Windows.

My question is:

Can I get rid of Windows without having to re-install Ubuntu?
If yes, how?

If not, what should I do? Should I download the Ubuntu .iso file, burn it in a disc and re-install everything?

I've been looking everywhere for this but can't find an answer for someone with this same situation.

Thanks..

lisati
September 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
If you used the Windows installer to install Ubuntu then you will either have to migrate Ubuntu to its own partition (there are plenty of discussions on the forum on how to do this) or do a fresh install and tell the installer to overwrite the Windows partition.

guntu
September 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I was afraid this would be the case. I think I'll give it a try migrating Ubuntu if not then fresh install it is.

Thanks for the help!