PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Graphics card problem after update

n0c0d3
September 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hi,
I just upgraded to 2.6.32.25 #44 and now I only get the command line mode when I start my Xubuntu 10.04 installation. I tried the instructions on this help page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia), but to no avail.
Normally I should be able to get into xcfe by using the startxfce4 command, but then I get the following errors:

FATAL: Module nvidia not found
and a warning thereīs no driver available.
Then:
Fatal server error: no screens found
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to detect X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance,
Bart

andrewthomas
September 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

n0c0d3
September 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately this didnīt change a thing. I still boot into the command line and after startxfce4 I still get the same errors.

Thanks anyway,
Bart

n0c0d3
September 29th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I think the already installed Nvidia driver gave problems and I must have made a mistake in the removal of it or something like that. But I already did a fresh install and kernel update (itīs a computer I hardly ever use and had nothing important on it anyway) and installed the nvidia default driver from the Hardware Drivers menu. Things seem to be ok now.

Bart

n0c0d3
October 10th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I just updated to 10.10 and ran into the same problem again, but now on a different computer that I wouldn't like to re-install from scratch. I tried the above command command to get the nvidia driver to work and this time it worked. The driver offered on the nvidia site is 256.53, but the nvidia-current command installed 260.19.06. I still don't know how that works out though, as I've only had it installed for a couple of minutes.

I'm glad the answer helped me after all.

Thanks,
Bart