PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which packages to install?

PCTinker
September 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I did a succesfull Alternative Installation of 10.04 yesterday and managed to load the packages that allowed me to install NetGear NG511v2 drivers. So far so good.

When I plug in a usb flashdrive it only mounts during boot-up. I know I can load a package that allows me to select ' hot mount usb drive' (or similar check box). How do I find what packages to install to give me this functionality?

Similarly my accessories tab shows Bluetooth as being available. There is no bluetooth on the laptop so how do I find out what packages I can safely remove?

The wider question is, is there a list of packages with their associated functions and associations?

I've already had a look at the lists of installed packages and available packages on my CD, but I have no idea what they do.

Sorry if that sounds a bit confusing; I am confused.

Mark Phelps
September 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
There's over 20 THOUSAND packages, and that's with only a typical set of Repos installed. I'm not aware of any bulk list of packages with descriptions.

Also, my advice is to leave the packages alone. It's not unusual for apps to share packages, especially libraries. If you start removing stuff, you run the risk of rendering one or more apps unusable.