PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite "no nonsense" themes and icon sets?

Macfunky
September 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I find there are two main problems with themes and icon sets, then again it's a very subjective matter, but the two problems i find are -

- Imitation
- Trying too hard

I do understand that everything has an influence and it's bound to show up in one way or another. I don't mind certain elements but i think sometimes it goes too far.

For me i feel a theme and icon set should be more practical than aesthetic. Not to say that it should look like crap and part of it being practical can make it look good.

Also i feel some themes try too hard. An example of this, i feel, would be dark themes. I love the look of them but i have yet to find one that is practical in every day use. I find it hard to make out elements of the programme sometimes so they're not for me.

One no nonsense theme that i really like is the default Opensolaris theme and icon set (can't think of the name of it right now). It is what i think a theme should be. It is practical and attractive, has a non cluttered look and makes everything nice and easy to identify and navigate. Plain and simple and that's how i like it.

I am not bashing anyone or any themes here. Some simply aren't for me but that's what being open is all about. What i don't like, someone else will and i have the choice so i won't complain. It's great :D

What i would like to find out is if there are any other simple, elegant themes out there that provide a nice practical interface for the user, no nonsense. So what are your favourite no nonsense themes?

*Opinions please, no bashing* Thank you :D

Khakilang
September 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Ubuntu default theme and I like Deep Purple.

lykeion
September 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I use Shiki-Dust with Ubuntu-Mono-Dark-Elementary iconset.
I appreciate the nice and clean appearance.

Lucradia
September 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Anything that uses metacity, or any of its spin-offs (xf4wm), etc. are nonsense. OpenBox and the other *boxes are pretty much no-nonsense.

Simian Man
September 29th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I like the Gnome-Colors icon set the best. It looks great and is available in many different colors.

Anything that uses metacity, or any of its spin-offs (xf4wm), etc. are nonsense. OpenBox and the other *boxes are pretty much no-nonsense.

WTF? First off that makes no sense. Secondly Xfwm is not a spinoff of metacity. Thirdly it is unrelated to the topic of icon sets.

Lucradia
September 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I like the Gnome-Colors icon set the best. It looks great and is available in many different colors.

WTF? First off that makes no sense. Secondly Xfwm is not a spinoff of metacity. Thirdly it is unrelated to the topic of icon sets.

The title of the thread says themes too. Sure, I didn't mention gtk and whatnot, but since when do I use anything but gtk? :|

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 29th, 2010, 07:40 PM
My favorite basic theme is the Glossy (sudo apt-get install gnome-themes) theme with the Meliae icons. It's consistent, clean and goes pretty well with said icon theme.

tjeremiah
September 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
need pics

Frantic_Earthling
September 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 default theme with Echo Icons.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM
need pics

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9905004&postcount=812