PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help for . rar files & 7zip

ozanuzay
September 29th, 2010, 10:58 AM
hello,
i installed the 7zip and ACE for .rar files.
But when i want to open a .rar file.
computer uses the archive manager. But it fails. i could not open the .rar files..

i could not find the 7zip :S
i clicked the right from mouse etc ... i could not

kerry_s
September 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM
install "ubuntu-restricted-extras" & you will get everything you need.

5PUTN|K
September 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
right click on the .rar file select properties than click on the open with tab and select the one u want to use as ur default application for .rar files if the application u want isnt there click on the add button and add it from the list of applications if u cant find it on the list add the comand manually or you could use the terminal command for that application to extract your files here let me google that for you
(http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=7zip&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#hl=en&expIds=17259,24472,26095,26562,26751,52728&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=ACE+terminal+commands+for+extracting+.rar+files+ on+ubuntu&cp=3&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=ACE+terminal+commands+for+extracting+.rar+files +on+ubuntu&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=fb415daea57b0c54)

kerry_s
September 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
right click on the .rar file select properties than click on the open with tab and select the one u want to use as ur default application for .rar files if the application u want isnt there click on the add button and add it from the list of applications if u cant find it on the list add the comand manually or you could use the terminal command for that application to extract your files here let me google that for you
(http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=7zip&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#hl=en&expIds=17259,24472,26095,26562,26751,52728&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=ACE+terminal+commands+for+extracting+.rar+files+ on+ubuntu&cp=3&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=ACE+terminal+commands+for+extracting+.rar+files +on+ubuntu&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=fb415daea57b0c54)

no he just needs unrar, but if he installs "ubuntu-restricted-extras" he'll get that & everything else he needs for the future, so he won't have any more problems, be it codecs, java, fonts, etc...

DavePlummer
September 29th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Install packages p7zip-full and p7zip-rar. File Roller, the GNOME archive manager, will then have all it needs to correctly handle .rar files.

ozanuzay
September 29th, 2010, 02:21 PM
thanks all of you
i can open the files,
but also i cant open the setup.exe's ...
i tried to open with wine , there was an error

blocked: wine/unix

The file '/home/ozan/.cache/.fr-BRYbY0/DOOM95.EXE' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

kerry_s
September 29th, 2010, 04:11 PM
right click the doom.exe-> properties-> permissions
check the executable box

DavePlummer
October 3rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
For ozanuzay:

Many Windows setup.exe files are not standards-based self-extracting archives. Therefore, the archiving tools will be unable to open them.