PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from Vermont?

kevin11951
September 29th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I was thinking about where I was going to move after college, and I came across a state that I think I will like. Vermont.

I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions about Vermont. Specifically, I am looking for some where cold, hopefully with A LOT of snow. Right now I live in Texas, and the average temp feels like 110 F.

Maybe something about Linux in Vermont (is there a LUG there?)

More importantly than any of that, does anyone have http://www.burlingtontelecom.net/ as their ISP? What do you think of it?

Cuddles McKitten
September 29th, 2010, 02:12 AM
New Hampshire is very similar to VT (but much lighter on state taxes and lower cost of living which means more take-home pay) and may be worth some research. Other than that, both have a nice climate if you enjoy seasonal change and don't mind long, cold winters. If you pick up skiing -- either cross-country or downhill --, snowshoeing, etc. you'll be able to tolerate it much better. The summers, though short are very pleasant and stay in the 70's. Lastly, bear in mind that VT is very rural; even the "cities" are pretty small.

Also, I hope you like maple syrup.

kevin11951
September 29th, 2010, 02:34 AM
New Hampshire is very similar to VT (but much lighter on state taxes and lower cost of living which means more take-home pay) and may be worth some research. Other than that, both have a nice climate if you enjoy seasonal change and don't mind long, cold winters. If you pick up skiing -- either cross-country or downhill --, snowshoeing, etc. you'll be able to tolerate it much better. The summers, though short are very pleasant and stay in the 70's. Lastly, bear in mind that VT is very rural; even the "cities" are pretty small.

Also, I hope you like maple syrup.

That sound actually quite good, and yes, I like maple syrup ;)

cariboo
September 29th, 2010, 04:37 AM
What about Alaska?

NightwishFan
September 29th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Pennsylvania is cold. It also gets fairly warm for a few months as well. We had a huge blizzard the beginning of this year. (I like the cold too).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_North_American_blizzard_of_2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_North_American_blizzard_of_2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_North_American_blizzard_of_2010

Here is a video I recorded of it outside my house (AFTER it melted a bit!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqemsByVfB0

Our Ubuntu LoCo team is quite active, however only much near Philadelphia.
http://ubuntupennsylvania.org/

Slug71
September 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Look into the White Mountains region of New Hampshire. Or Mt Washington Valley, Conway/North Conway etc..
Plenty of snow and skiing around here. :)

PuddingKnife
September 30th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I am not from Vermont, but I love visiting that state. Everyone I met was super nice and relaxed and most people drive my favorite car, a Subaru anything.

I recommend the Grade B maple syrup - the most robust flavor and great to carmelize bacon with.

kevin11951
September 30th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I am not from Vermont, but I love visiting that state. Everyone I met was super nice and relaxed and most people drive my favorite car, a Subaru anything.

I recommend the Grade B maple syrup - the most robust flavor and great to carmelize bacon with.

One of my biggest reason for trying to choose a state is how relaxed they are. I've went to a McDonald's in NY city, and will NEVER go back... I feared for my life, and it was loud.

Dustin2128
September 30th, 2010, 02:51 AM
One of my biggest reason for trying to choose a state is how relaxed they are. I've went to a McDonald's in NY city, and will NEVER go back... I feared for my life, and it was loud.
me too, my mind barley works with a population density more than 50 per square km. Stupid humans, interfering with their latent telepathy!
Yes, I use metric in the states.

harrisonk
September 30th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I am actually from southern Quebec (unless you like garbled French don't come here) and I visit NY quite frequency I do occasionally go to VT for field trips and I have to say both are beautiful. As for property cost and the like I know that NY is around Vt in comparison. now you know what NY is like.

PS: Quebec Maple Syrup is the best IMO (we do provide 70% of the world!)

Harrison

kevin11951
September 30th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I am actually from southern Quebec (unless you like garbled French don't come here) and I visit NY quite frequency I do occasionally go to VT for field trips and I have to say both are beautiful. As for property cost and the like I know that NY is around Vt in comparison. now you know what NY is like.

PS: Quebec Maple Syrup is the best IMO (we do provide 70% of the world!)

Harrison

So big cities in VT are just as loud and rowdy as NY city, or just the prices?

hhh
September 30th, 2010, 03:58 AM
What we have here is... failure, to communicate.

Slug71
September 30th, 2010, 02:47 PM
You dont need a permit to carry(CCW) in VT. :)

Slug71
September 30th, 2010, 02:47 PM
So big cities in VT are just as loud and rowdy as NY city, or just the prices?

I think he means prices.

PuddingKnife
September 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM
VT is definitely NOT loud and rowdy, or even crowded for that matter. Burlington is pretty much IT for citylife in VT, but there are some great local eateries there and in Montpelier.

Honestly, VT is hippies and hillbillies, getting along. There's mountains, cheese, maple syrup, Subarus, and fine cannabis.

snakeman21
September 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I live in Vermont. I was born and raised here, and I have lived in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania. I always find myself back in Vermont. Maybe it's just because it's home to me, but I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It's beautiful, the people are nice, and you just can't beat the maple syrup. Sure, the winters can be a bit harsh, but the wholesome people, the traditions, and the beautiful make it more than worthwhile.

Edit: Have to quote this for truth:
VT is definitely NOT loud and rowdy, or even crowded for that matter. Burlington is pretty much IT for citylife in VT, but there are some great local eateries there and in Montpelier.

Honestly, VT is hippies and hillbillies, getting along. There's mountains, cheese, maple syrup, Subarus, and fine cannabis.

You dont need a permit to carry(CCW) in VT. :)

Absolutely right. I carry every day.

mips
September 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I honestly think I would get really depressed in such a cold place. I hate winter. Love the feeling of the sun on my skin & the warmth. I'm definitely African :D

snakeman21
September 30th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I honestly think I would get really depressed in such a cold place. I hate winter. Love the feeling of the sun on my skin & the warmth. I'm definitely African :D

Hehe, my mom is the same way. She HATES the cold. So much, in fact, that she just bought a house in Puerto Rico and will be moving in a few years... Ugh. Too hot for me.